Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just took a 2.2 short block in for scrap friday and I wanna say it was more than 65 lbs.

Ironically I couldn't lift it (still restricted to 25 lbs) but I think it was more like100 or more judging by the guy who eventually picked it up by the seatbelt I had on it from the alternator bracket I reinstalled to have a handle and the plug to take the flexplate bolts out. It was bare, had the crossover pipe on it. No heads, intake, oil pan & pickup were gone.

I can't tell from my slip because it was dirty aluminum along with 4 buckets of mostly Subaru water pumps, AC compressors, etc.

The pistons don't weigh much but the crank usually does.

FYI I believe a bare intake weighs 13 lbs if I remember that correctly. I shoul dhave kept track I took in bare DOHC heads too.

i know a automatic awd trans weighs 197 lbs. I got dirty alum for it when i scrapped my old one. Got $37 for it :) I intend to do the same to my current auto that's crap once i convert to a 5-speed. Surprisingly 200 lbs.. it feels heavier than that tho.

I got .65 lb for clean cast aluminum and .18 for dirty aluminum.

Gotta figure out if it's worth spiltting the cases on these half dozen 2.5 DOHC's I'm gonna scrap.

I've never split one. Almost the the 2.2 I scrapped friday since it was already pretty stripped including the oil pan even. Thought it would be a problem to try and split on an engine stand and working on the floor isn't as good of an option as it used to be. I was gonna put it on the lift but decided to just scrap that one as it was.

I can pickup and walk around with a shortblock or lift it to the bench top easily. I recall the 22T I shipped to the east coast was either 75 lbs and $67 shipping or 67 lbs and $75 shipping.... :-p

At any rate I don't think it's more than a 90 lb sack of concrete. Considerably less I do beleive.

The long block is going to be about 150lbs. I lift these in and out of my truck quite often - one person on each side. I attach the engine stand adaptor to them first and then slide them into the stand. Easy lift for two people.

GD

Yeah, Short block (Case, crank, rods, pistons, no heads/manifold) can't be more than 75lbs. I can lift and carry around a short block easily, and I'm 6ft ~160lbs.

Long block with heads, Intake manifold (fuel rails/injectors, throttle body, etc), timing parts, I would guess somewhere in the 130 range.

With clutch and flywheel add ~35 lbs. (23lb flywheel on these) With cast iron accessory brackets instead of aluminum add another 5.

Water pump is under the timing covers, not an accessory as with the Alt, PS, and AC.

sometimes it's not worth the hastle to separate engines and trans because the guys will still give you dirty for blocks sometimes since aluminum blocks must have iron sleeves but not all of them know that.

No iron sleeves in a Subaru block as far as I know.

Edited by Fairtax4me