Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission Diagnosis help needed

hi

I have a 93 legacy with auto trans and the trans will go into park, reverse, and drive fine but when in drive it starts out in 2nd gear and will not shift to 3rd. Also when i put it manually into 1st gear the car will struggle to move like the gears are bound up or stuck. kinda feels like tryin to drive with the parking brake on. it will move but very little and very slowly. i was wondering if anyone had heard of this before. Also dont know how to start a new thread and saw you guys talking about tranny's. Dont mean to intrude

Thanks chris

i will check on the light situation. I checked the fluid and it was overfilled. so i drained some out till it was at the right amount. Still the problem exists. Will get back after i check about the light on start up

the subaru auto trans dip sticks are really hard to read. and i'm concerned that you have too little fluid now.

check the fluid level in the morning before you start the engine just to see if you are in the ball park. if not add the right amount. the difference between the low and high lines is only about 1 pint.

after you get the level right when cold with the engine off then check it hot, engine running.

It was really hard to read. i had to check it several times. im sure i got it but will check again as soon as im able. Im experiencing thunderstorms right now so as soon as they pass i will reply. also thanks for the helpful info

Well there is no lights on and the fluid is good.

Its clearly in limp mode but im at a loss why.

Also 1st is bound up. Im just gonna get a professional rebuild done. Any tips on

What i should request custom to the trans to make it more durable.

lets recheck some things:

Does your spedo work?

Do you have an ATF temp light when the car is turned "on"

Does the same light flash on startup?

Do you have a check engine light on

What does your fluid look and smell like?

installing a used trans is going to be WAY cheaper than a rebuild. but if you use a trans shop, they may increase the cost of the of the used trans and the install so it is only 20% - 25% cheaper than the rebuild. they want you to choose a rebuild.

a used trans will cost less than $500 and the install at an independent shop, may add another $500. a rebuild at a trans shop will cost 2500$ plus.

parts source, http://www.car-part.com sort by distance first.

before you go out and buy another trans, you need to spend a little time trying to figure out what is causing your problem.

for instance, if the TCU is bad, replacing the trans will not fix the problem. and you may end up with the same problem and 1000$ poorer.

have you tried reading the codes for the trans yet?

replaced the fluid?

tried dirving it while shifting manually?

any CELs?

I have tried driving it in manual and 1st gear is bound up or stuck. when i shift to second its good then when i shift to 3rd nothing happens. There is no lights on. as far as TCU what would i need to do to check it. Or would it be cheaper to replace anything else first that might fix the problem.