Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pay recommendations?

burton302

Hello all!

I am new member so I hope this is the right forum for this topic. I am a subaru dealer non-union mechanic. I will be training an apprentice next month. I have never been in that kind of situation and neither has my dealership. Management is looking for my input on how I should be compensated. Are any of you familiar with this and if so what should I ask for/expect? Thanks.

you mean training a union apprentice? or just someone your company hired?

Generally unions in my area are required to have X amount of journeyman per apprentice at a location. If the union wants to use you to train an apprentice, i would at least ask for base union journeyman wage or higher.

I used the word "apprentice" loosely. I work in a non-union shop. This person was originally hired as an hourly lube tech who is now a flat-rate mechanic in training. One idea I have heard were that I would be paid a percentage of the work that he would turn out. I have no idea what that percentage should be or even if that is a good or bad plan. I am not sure what average salaries are in down state Illinois, however I think that I am one of the higher paid techs at my dealership at $19/hour.

Figure out how much he will slow you down and complicate your work and ask to be compensated for that plus a bit more as incentive to even take on this additional responsibility and risk.

That's how I would pitch it and how I would ask to be compensated. If he slows you down by 25% then ask for an additional 25% of your hourly rate for every job completed as well as a base hourly rate increase commensurate with your new responsibilities and possibly a new title that also reflects your status in the shop.

GD

I have been on both sides of it and when in training I proved myself in a week and went to full technician. I felt for the guy supervising me but I was teaching him as much as he was me so you could be okay. It all depends on who you get and how smart they are with a wrench and the customers. When I had someone working with me, I actually made more money than I did without. It can certainly go both ways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

I'm new to the board, but was a Tech for 40 years with the last 34 with M-Benz & NEVER worked in a Union shop. I was very often "asked" to train new hires whether they had had VoTech training or not. These newbies were placed with me for a period of time that was dependant on my input to management and their observations. They were usually given a lift next to mine, but not always. Sometimes he (never had a female trainee) would have to work with me on my lift. When we had to share a lift my hours were averaged & "guaranteed", but usually they were working next to me & I got whatever hours they produced. Of course, I was responsible for all of their work so the time needed to supervise them was offset by the hours they produced. I usually would not allow them to use any impact tools except for removing wheels lugs & a torque wrench became their friend. As they improved, so did my paycheck. Eventually the party would come to an end & they would have to go "on the line".

I usually found it to be a profitable & rewarding proposition (for all), but a difficult one at times because of language, personalities, etc. I had the opportunity of trying to influence new Techs into focusing on the quality of their work rather than just the $$. My philosophy has been to do the best work you can & the $$ will follow and it served me quite well until I retired 2 years ago.

I'm am sorry to see that you're only making $19/hr in this day & age:mad:.

Chris