Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 sub-model question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glcoupeguy

glcoupeguy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

i purchased a new EA82 for my 87 GL. the distributor is different. i went to the junk yard and noticed its the same on all GLs from 1989+ my question is: is there a way to wire the newer distributor to my current harness or do i need to replace the harness and/or change to a newer ECU?

#2 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,395 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

the distys are different depending on 4wd vs 2wd, not ecu..those should be the same enough. use your old disty would be my advice, however there are more experienced folks on here

#3 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,507 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

So, you purchased a New EA82... the Whole Engine? ... or Long Block only?

Does you old engine was Carbureted or EFi? ...

1987 is a Year where Subaru Sold (in USA) some EA82 with Carburetor along many EFi, so I believe that it is important to know if your Subie was originally with Carb or EFi, in order to better help you.

2WD EA82 with Carburetor came with the Nippon Denso Disty, while 4WD EA82 with Carburetor came with the Hitachi Disty; as far as I Know, the 2WD distys has faster advance curve than the 4WD ones.

Kind Regards.

#4 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

i purchased a new EA82 for my 87 GL. the distributor is different. i went to the junk yard and noticed its the same on all GLs from 1989+ my question is: is there a way to wire the newer distributor to my current harness or do i need to replace the harness and/or change to a newer ECU?

If you have the SPFI Hitachi with the clip on cap, it's an optical, so you can probably wire in the newer optical dizzy.

Doug

Edited by Quidam, 25 September 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#5 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

in 88 they switched to a disty that used a connector instead of a set of wires with ring terminals on it. if its a snap on cap its a carb engine/disty if it screws down its a EFI engine/disty.

The only difference I've noticed between 87 and 88 was that connector and it can simply be spliced onto the new one, or eliminated all together.

There is no need for a diff ecu or harness, just get a wiring diagram of the 87 and the 88 and make the connector work

If you have a 2 wire disty, its carb'd btw. All EA82 EFI used a 4 wire disty. One more thing, if its got a vacumn advance on it with a vac port (single one its carb'd) if its a vac advance with 2 vac ports on it, its a 85/86 EFI disty (avoid those I've had so many problems with their early crank angle system in those distys)

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,295 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

use the distributor from the old engine. For 87 with spfi, the disty is the same as later models, but the plug is different. the pigtail wire on the disty is removable and swappable. the 87 has a round style connector and is 87 specific, but can be found on 86 gl-10 with spfi.

Think of the 87 harness as an 88 design with 86 style connectors. the 87 harness is a one year design.

you can probably clip the plug and splice them, but i would recommend swapping the pigtail or just using an 87 disty.

#7 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • USA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

in 88 they switched to a disty that used a connector instead of a set of wires with ring terminals on it. if its a snap on cap its a carb engine/disty if it screws down its a EFI engine/disty.

Well, just to be clear. I have an "87 SPFI optical with snap on cap, black round, four wire plug.

Doug

#8 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,507 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

Yes, those Specs vary... that is the Reason Why I asked to the original poster, More details about the Old engine and the new engine, so we could help him in a better Way.

Maybe he could upload here Pictures of Both distys, it will be even Better.

Kind Regards.

#9 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,804 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Well, just to be clear. I have an "87 SPFI optical with snap on cap, black round, four wire plug.

Doug

You've got the oddball year with the round connector.

The disty's are the same, just the connectors are different.

easiest thing to do would be to install you're old disty in the new engine.

Or you could scavenge a harness side connector from a junkyard car, and splice it into you're harness.....so you can use the more common square plug type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users