Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommended engine builder.

I recommend this engine builder:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Subaru-EJ25-Complete-Engine-1999-2009-Legacy-Outback-Impreza-Forester-/321029974555?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999|Make%3ASubaru&hash=item4abee0aa1b&vxp=mtr

even though the price went up a bit.

Apparent optimum build quality bottom to top. I installed one 3 weeks ago. Solid, quiet, strong. Equivalent+ to new, IMO. We've had several personal conversations, I will pm any inquiries. I do not represent his company.

He's located in Traverse City, MI.

The ad has like 5 pictures of the block all taken from the same angle.

Also don't think 3 weeks is enough time to determine if a rebuild is any good. After the inital oil change (which should be like 1000 miles) drive another 1000-1500 miles and take an oil sample to send to in for analysis and check compression and leak down. Do the same again in one year if its still running.

I will give props on cleanliness of the parts though. As long as the insides are that clean when it's put together it at least shouldn't die of dirt/particulate damage.

They are just buying new OEM shortblocks. The wholesale price for which is less than $2k. You can easily have those single cam heads completely rebuilt for less than $500 and there's not anywhere near $1400 in gaskets, timing components, oil pump, and labor to bolt on the heads and palletize it there. That's pretty much a huge rip-off.

GD

They are just buying new OEM shortblocks.
ha, i didn't see that.

Only $800-$1,000 profit. I mean i'd never pay that and I wish someone would pay me to do that since that's an easy job and doesn't take long to put those parts together. It sounds really high to me as well, but doesn't sound that terrible considering Subaru charges $1,000 - $1,500 for headgaskets only all the time - which is $150 or less in parts.

I think you should add that to your line up GD! Maybe I'll start advertising them on craisglist and see if I can get any bites, LOL

They don't "say" that's what they are doing but trust me it is. I can do the same exact build for anyone here at my shop for hundreds less than they are charging. It's no surprise that it runs like a new engine since it essentially IS a factory new engine. Completely assembled factory short block is $1989 from my dealer that's a mile from my shop.

It takes basically no real skill to assemble these. Torque down the heads, install timing bits, and ship it.

GD

They don't "say" that's what they are doing but trust me it is. I can do the same exact build for anyone here at my shop for hundreds less than they are charging. It's no surprise that it runs like a new engine since it essentially IS a factory new engine. Completely assembled factory short block is $1989 from my dealer that's a mile from my shop.

It takes basically no real skill to assemble these. Torque down the heads, install timing bits, and ship it.

GD

I have good reason to say that is not what he is doing. Do you have the Subaru part number for the shortblock? Is there an online listing anywhere at that price? I have another one coming up and a pair of good heads to slap on.

Edited by uniberp

Do you have the Subaru part number for the shortblock? Is there an online listing anywhere at that price? I have another one coming up and a pair of good heads to slap on.
$2,261.33 here:

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/oempartscat.html

opposed forces has part numbers though a bit convoluted for the EJ25 short blocks for some reason, i'd just call subaru and ask. my local dealers have always matched the online prices so you'd save some hassle with shipping/core etc that way.

It says "brand new parts from Subaru of America". You don't buy that list of items separate. You buy the complete short block cause its cheaper and there's no guesswork. I know how this works - build engines all the time and buy hundreds of $ in dealer parts every week.

You got had.

GD

This is not a flame board. You are incorrect and insulting. I have been dealth with several amateur self-styled experts and I was not "had" in this case, especially since you know nothing of the details of this transaction, which will now remain unknown to you.

I suggest you provide current details of your source assertion before you attempt to damage someone's business reputation.

In the ad it says they don't use OEM headgaskets. That seems odd to me, using rebuild heads and a brand new short block. Why use aftermarket gaskets...

Why would they buy all the components and assemble them, rather than buying them assembled for the same price? Ie. Just buying a new short block.

However they put that together, that's still an absolutely ridiculous price.

This is not a flame board. You are incorrect and insulting. I have been dealth with several amateur self-styled experts and I was not "had" in this case, especially since you know nothing of the details of this transaction, which will now remain unknown to you.

I suggest you provide current details of your source assertion before you attempt to damage someone's business reputation.

I'd say it would be good to know these details you speak of, to prove that's not what they are doing. For that price, they better not be using the old block!

I call em like I see em. It's not up to me to provide proof of anything since I am not the one making unbelievable claims.

So where's the pictures of all these new individual components from which they built this short block? I see lots of pictures of a short block already assembled but no pictures of all the individual components. Buying the individual components is more expensive than a full short block and you can't order specific piston sizes (A and B) to fit the block in a totally factory way. The individual parts are sold in order to REPAIR an existing engine. That listing says in NO uncertain terms that all the short block components are BRAND NEW from SOA. That means it comes as a complete short block. Again - any monkey can bolt on heads. There is no amazing skills involved in that and I can provide the same service for anyone that would like this option for less than their asking price on ebay.

You can believe whatever you want and you can drink their cool-aid if you wish but those are the facts.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

i like my rebiulds all have knurlled pistons 0 slap ever fresh surfaces only subaru oem seals and gaskets and all the stuff that subaru missed is tight and proper no loose oil pump screws or plastic seperator plates or loose pistons. A subaru factory short block dreams about being thiss good with all there wornout engine tooling and loose bolts from the factory a new short block is not a way i would go. I have definatly seen my share of engine defects on subarus engines. At least if i find a problem i can fix it or replace it the robot just lets it go down the line. There is alot to be said for human quality control !

wow i caled my dealer 2750 $ for a rebiuld short block + 1150$ core and they are thoose horribble xx 25 rebiulds with the 7mm oil pump. Dealer says no new short blocks avalibble in canada only in the usa and are different blocks and dont interchange. So my short block is 2000 $ so i'm happy with my price.But a'm concerned about why is sutch a difference between usa and canada what happened to FREE TRADE lol

I think there might be some confusion between the "new" engine they are selling from the eBay listing and the "rebuilt" engines they also sell.

I don't know if the price went up on the rebuilds but the one I bought a year ago was $1750+shipping. That was with the same 60k/3 year warranty. I have about 12k on that engine and have zero complaints.

in the last 2 years have had 6 xx blocks come in with thrown rods engines had been bored and rod berrings were reused or not even looked at. The pistons were not slopy in bore but rod berrings were gone. and all had 7mm oil pumps and factory rod berrings. Have seen better results with the 99 2.5d as it has the bigger rod berrings and is stronger. I looked at my core linup yesterday 6 2.5ds 2 2.51s and 2 2.23s and one 2.2b and 2 ez3.0s should keep me bussy for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
im new to Subaru's im having my 2.5 dohc rebuilt in the near future i bought it as a "knocker" is there an upgrade for the oil pump? i am seeing on here that the 7mm is not a good idea?

Not worth rebuilding. Do some searches on swapping to the 2.2 SOHC. And in any case the 25D stock pump is a 10mm - same as the USDM STi pump.

GD

So save the money spent on a full rebuild, spend half as much on a 90-96 2.2 and have the most reliable engine Subaru ever built. The 2.2 is not plagued with the head gasket problems and small bearings that ruin the 2.5. Very common and very simple swap and yields the best results for the least investment.