Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Timing Belt Help

Question for milesfox or anyone out there....89 Subaru, saw milesfox youtube video, talked about running without timing belt covers...can you go wheelin without them, or run half covers? I'd like to be able to fix on the side of the road, instead of walking.....can't trust my Subie in the mountains, damn belt keeps breaking every 50k :headbang:

I'm not sure if I'd run coverless in deep mud but aside from that you should be ok

Every 50k? The FSM say they should be replaced every 60k, and usually they arent broken.. when was the last time you replaced the tensioners and pulleys?

As soon as my belt breaks I'm taking the covers off, and never looking back

run no covers.:horse: how often do you submerge your soob? thats what i thought. now take those covers off, if ya wanna be lazy (like me half the time) leave the rears until you have a slow saturday morning then do it. also, use google. it answers a lot of questions repeatedly asked around here. also rip out the ac and clutch fan. wire a toggle to the electric one.

You need all of your fans for slow driving up dirt roads. If the AC compressor works, it sucks moisture out of the air for the defrost position, prior to blowing the then dry hot air on the windshield. Otherwise turning on the defrost will do nothing because it will blow moist hot air on the backside of a cool windshield.

funny, mine works on any road. and real fast too. maybe its moist, maybe its not but my window melts ice on both sides if necessary.

as for cooling, if your cooling system works you dont need a fan very often at all. ive gone crawling on dirt roads/wheeling on super hot days (as far as the pnw getsm so not THAT hot) and only needed to switch my fan on once or twice an hour and only whilst being atless than 5mph or so. also had to do that in holiday traffic once in awhile in the summer, if i sit for ten minutes or so.

if you get a chance to use some compressed air you can clean the dust out of your rad in a jiffy. just try to do it outside.

bottom line on ea82s imho: youre gonna need every one of those 90ish horses pullin that car around, might as well use em.

... about running without timing belt covers...can you go wheelin without them, or run half covers? ...

I use my "BumbleBeast" 60% on city driving during weekdays, and 40% offroading during weekends; I go Wheelin' to the Mountains almost each Weekend I can, and its EA82 does run Coverless: Both timin' Belts are completely "Naked" and I Never experienced any problem with them so far ... ;) ... you can read much more info about that, plus photos & Videos, ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

The need for fans is partly based on the relative humidy of the air. Humid air seems to reduce the cooling efficiency of the cooling system. If you live in dry Utah for instance, you could probably get away with something less than stock in the spring, winter and fall. Subaru's were designed to run in Japan however, which has a climate that is slightly cooler than most locations in the US. Which is why GL10's require a double core radiator, for instance. The cylinder heads are also real sensitive to heat build-up and tend to crack easily, causing a sudden large consumption of coolant. If money is no object with you, and you have oodles of time to keep replacing cylinder heads, if you can find them, then cut your own throat and yank out the fans. But I believe that you would be making a huge mistake by reducing the cooling efficiency of your car in any way, shape or form. I have had my GL10 for 400,000 miles, so I have a little experience with this issue.

even after driving my ea82 for a year with one blown heaadgasket and multiple 6 hour trips (just add water) i finally blew both. guess what... i had NO CRACKS in my heads, even after putting cold water in a hot block. i rebuilt that motor and resurfaced the heads myself caveman style. and it defrosts as wellas it runs. also, you dont have to pull the motor for a hg job so you can leave that useless fan there if you want.

things are not as hard as they seem.....

ps i have no idea why mine werent cracked. 90% of em are, overheat or not, just nature of the beast. btw it also doesnt matter 75% of the time