Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 79 Brat build

Kevint143

Brock that other vacuum port is indeed already plugged. I am not sure the reason behind putting a bigger piece of tubing over the whole thing but it is indeed plugged.

my newest problem is last night I was driving and my turn signals stopped working. After searching the forum for a solution I checked My hazards and they work, Fuses are fine and wiring looks to be in decent shape. So I am stumped. Any ideas?

only personal experiance with tail lights and blinkers and such is the ground wire being grounded to a peice of rust dangling below the brat. once reattached all lights worked properly. with no ground in the rear your blinker indicators will light up on the dash when breaking. amoungst other weird ************.

Yeah I have a feeling it is the actual lever or switch which ever you wish to call it. Everything works my high beams click on when engaged but the turns signals do not when the lever is engaged..but my hazards do and from what I have read on here that means it is something in the switch in the steering column.

So I had to leave the car behind tonight...The plug I put in on the Brake booster valve came out while I was accelerating again. I happened to have a hose clamp so I put a new cap on it and clamped it down tight. Then the plug for the anti- after burning valve popped off (yes the jerry rigged on as Brock put it) and I didn't have anything to plug that one well enough so during acceleration the Engine seemed hesitant as if it was skipping a beat or something along those lines. Going to get another hose clamp tomorrow and fix it. Luckily it happened close enough to work that I was able to limp it back and leave it in the parking lot. Has anyone had this problem with plugs popping off? As I have made clear before this is all new to me but if it has a vacuum shouldn't t suction keep it from popping or blowing outward? Any help is appreciated.

But on the bright side I got my turn signals working. It turned out to be a bad flasher and the one I bought from Auto zone was bad as well right out of the box. Put a little bit nicer of one in and they work!

how loose are you putting the clamps on? they should be nice and tight with the rubber plugs. seems like it would be worth just putting jb weld on it if you want a permanent solution. where are the hose clamps made and what material are they made of? the aluminum ones strip out and so do the really cheep ones from china, mexico, japan, ect.

Well to be honest the one I had to plug the other day did not have a clamp. It does now. The reason I didn't clamp it is because the gent at the auto parts store told me I shouldn't have to worry about it because it is creating a vacuum and will be sucking in. So I guess another question is why would they be blowing off during acceleration?

The other did not either but was on pretty tight..obviously not tight enough and will get a clamp tomorrow when I get back to work.

ha no tow bill here...Luckily I work at a space that has plenty of parking and is fairly secure. and yeah I plan on putting clamps on. I should have in the first place but ya live and learn right?

yep its always good to live and learn. im going to double and triple check my 83 turbo wagons hoses when i put it back together which might be soon the head shop said the heads are ready:D

So at lunch today I put the brake booster line on the right valve port it was plugged into the egr valve. I then capped off the anti-after burning valve and the egr valve and it runs pretty normal. Hopefully at least well enough to get me home tonight.

So I got home successfully. It looks like my fix worked So I drove out to Auto zone and got a solid hose for the brake booster as the old one was 2 hoses attached together. Now that the line is attached to the correct valve and a solid hose I feel a slight increase in braking power! So I am excited about this. While I was at the store I decided to get a new air filter and went with an STP as they didn't have a K&N in stock for my model. I also bought some Seafom Spray from a recommendation from one of the guys at the store and I have seen people talk about how awesome it is on here a lot. I will be tinkering around with it in the morning!

8366502016_11d5c3b474.jpg

[/url] by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

8365808259_fcd1e4e943_n.jpg

by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

Good lookin Brat.My 2nd Subaru was a 1979 Brat.Great rig to learn on.The vacuum lines can pop off from backfiring..Or like you said they could just be dryed up and fall off.I would check all your rubber tubing as they can leak vacuum and still look good.i always have a vacuum guage in my subarus Just so I can tell whats going on.You want high vac at an idle around 20.Go to Powells and get the book "How to keep your Subaru alive"..by Larry Owens.Best book about Subarus made !!I gave them to all my kids and any Newbie that comes by(if i have one around).I grab them any time I find one.I have paid up to $20 bucks for one in good shape...anyway have fun with your new toy and ride!! I got the best mpg off the 1600 than any subaru i have owened...Welcome aboard !!! C ya,Todd the OSF

Hey thanks for the words!

I have a chiltons repair manual a chlymer repair manual and I found a .pdf of the "how to keep your subaru alive" online somewhere that is downloaded to my phone and iTunes. I am having a blast learning on this rig and have learned probably 100% more about cars than I knew before purchasing it. Glad to have stumbled upon this site as we all know there is a lot of great information to be had and shared here.

Cool !! So how tuff are the gen 1 brats???? HUH ??? Well I was givin my 79 brat.I wasn't impressed with a "rice grinder" and was just going to take it out in the woods and kill it...HAHA I drove it for 2 weeks at Evens creek ORV park.It was either full throutle or slamin on the breaks..And it kept going,starting fine ......I drove up dry creek beds with basketball size rocks pushing up the floor boards..Wow !!! It got my respect...I thought you had to have a Dodge or International to have a good strong 4x4. Haha , . then as things did break,they were so easy to fix and with a come along you could get out of anything...Now this is my style of 4x4ing..afordable,tuff as rocks and reliable....what else can you ask for???So I gave that brat to my son,who beat the tar out of it,who sold it to One eye..who beat the tar out of it,who then gave it back to me..and it still purrs... hahaha no it is all in one piece but needs some TLC as they say..So how tuff are the gen 1 Brats ???? TUFF !!!!! Have fun with it..Now with a little comon sence and this message board and a few bucks,you got a ride for life..OSF.

... and got a solid hose for the brake booster as the old one was 2 hoses attached together.

The original hose would have been in two pieces as there should be a 'check valve' in the middle. I think it is a one way valve....

Great that the brakes are working better!

So last night I got it all taken apart but got held up because I need to get the cleaner. What would you recommend? I have the b12 carb spray but was told I should probably soak it in Berryman/Chem Dip carb and parts cleaner. Thoughts?

i have had people tell me do it both ways. i think the big difference is with the spray you use more elbow grease and it doesn't go every where in the carb you might want. i haven't used the dip but next time i do it i will see how well it works. i have got some pretty good results with the can though you just have to use paper towels/junker towels and q-tips to give it a good cleaning. also use a air compessor with a blow gun to blow stuff out of ports and small stuff.