Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

right front wheel makes clunk when hitting bumps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coolskaterkid

coolskaterkid

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • south lake tahoe

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

93 legacy auto 212k.

When i hit a bump or pot hole the right front wheel makes a clunk sort of nosie. Almost sounded like a really bad ball joint. Got the front end up in the air and ball joints are nice and tight, no play in steering. All i can think of is from somewhere in the strut. Can they make noise like this somehow?

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,104 posts
  • WA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Sway bar bushings and/or end links. I've replaced a bunch on customers cars with the same noise.

Edited by Turbone, 01 January 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#3 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Clunking is a pretty typical bad strut noise in my experience.

#4 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Clunking is a pretty typical bad strut noise in my experience.

Yea, could be a bad top strut bearing, sometimes called the "Top Hat." Squirt some white lithium grease around the top of the top hat at the top of the strut under the hood. If it quiets down some of the noise, then it is a bad (loose) strut bearing. Squirting some grease is how I got my wife's OBW strut to quiet down a little.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

what they all said: sway bar/end links or strut.

my 2003 Outback Sedan is doing the same thing on the passengers side..thunk thunk........thunk.......thunk thunk....

everything appears tight and working properly...but i can grab my sway bar and pull it side to side through the bushings - can't do that on my other Outback Wagon so I ordered sway bar bushings like Turbone said. haven't installed them yet though.

#6 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Also, it could be a brake pad moving around in the caliper. A quick test would be to go over a bump that would normally cause the noise, but have some moderate brake pressure applied. If you dont hear the clunk, install new brake pad anti-rattle hardware. And grease the back of the pads.

Edited by markjw, 01 January 2013 - 03:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users