Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recommended Maint. W/ Clutch Job

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GrnBtlWgn

GrnBtlWgn

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hey so first post here, so excuse my noobness! Just picked up a 95 Legacy Wagon and with 206k.

It's going to need a new clutch and I was wondering what other maintenance items are cheap/easy/recommended to be done at the same time?

I was thinking:
-Shifter Bushings?
-Motor/Trans Mounts?

I also want to have the timing belt done because I don't know when/if it was done before I bought it.

Thanks!

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,631 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well I would yank the engine and reseal it, do the timing belt, change the plugs, reseal the engine.

When you do the clutch, replace the retaining clips (and If it is cable operated replace the clutch cable)

#3 GrnBtlWgn

GrnBtlWgn

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

I'm new to soobs...

looks like removing the engine is the preferred way to do the clutch?

Edited by GrnBtlWgn, 14 January 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,631 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

nononononono leave the rear main be.

They rarely leak, and when they do it is because someone decides to replace it just because it was old.

#5 NWSubie

NWSubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • St. Helens

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

You may want to make sure the clutch fork is in good shape when you do the clutch I had mine wear through and it snapped on me. Not very common from what I hear but hey it happened to me. The fork just pops off its just held on by a clip. Also use new clips for the throw out bearing they are cheap at the dealer. Its pretty easy to do the clutch on these cars though. I personaly like using exedy clutch kits.

#6 GrnBtlWgn

GrnBtlWgn

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

nononononono leave the rear main be.

They rarely leak, and when they do it is because someone decides to replace it just because it was old.

haha ok! thanks for the warning! :)

#7 DirtRoadRunner

DirtRoadRunner

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • STL

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I would also install a TSK-1 Transmission Quill Sleeve Kit:

http://www.smart-ser...sleeve-kit.html

The transmission quill (snout) was badly grooved on my 2000 Forester, well before 100k miles. Also put a good amount of lithium grease on your new throwout bearing. The difference between before and after the sleeve kit is AMAZING. The car felt like new with a properly functioning clutch and pedal feel was much, much better, along with smooth engagements and disengagements.

I know they are $155, but I would never replace a clutch on a Subaru without adding one. Worth every penny.

Also, it comes with a throwout bearing and a improved retainer clip. So don't bother buying the Subaru parts. Maybe just a new clutch fork. Also replace any seals that happen to be leaking. I replaced the O-ring on the #4 cylinder wrist pin access hole on the back of my block, which was seeping oil.

#8 GrnBtlWgn

GrnBtlWgn

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Very interesting piece! I've sold car parts for years and never seen something like this. That's kind of expensive though, I'll try to fit it into my budget!

#9 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think they pretty well covered what's needed.

IMO the need for the sleeve is really rare - personally I wouldn't order it until I needed it.

Trans mounts seem to never go bad on Subaru's.

Clutch kit prices can vary a lot for Subaru's. One of the few kits I order online(but still a quality clutch) rather than from a local parts store (independent or chain).

#10 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,075 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Fairly simple, these are the "must-do" items:

Clutch, retaining clips, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate.
Resurface the flywheel

Reseal the rear separator plate with a new metal stamped one and the corresponding screws.

#11 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

change seperator plate +1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users