Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

04 forester radiator buzz

radiator buzzing coolant

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johegman

johegman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ashland, WI

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hey guys this is my first post and I searched the best I could but could find nothing.  So I had my hood popped and with the keys out of the ignition there was a faint buzzing coming from the radiator area.  I open'd the overflow coolant side and the buzzing stopped.  What the hell right?  Closed it and it started again.  I topped up the coolant which it took maybe a 1/2 liter total ran it for awhile and it stopped.  I've been loosing a little coolant lately but not a whole lot.  I have the X model auto.  I'm lost, any thoughts would be great!

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,711 posts
  • Texas

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

first thought, maybe a bad rad cap but, more info on the car would be helpful.

#3 johegman

johegman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ashland, WI

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Sorry kinda new to message board stuff. What kind of car info? Its got 160k on the original motor no issues with heads so far. Its the base motor and I just replace the spark plugs and wires. It lost that 1/2 qt of coolant in about three months.

#4 yohy

yohy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • The Great State of Maine

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Check out this post: http://www.subarufor...e-back-13202/. 

According to ferret (#7);

"This is common. Remove your grill and unplug the sonealert (beeper).  It's mounted front and center to the center upright bracket. Dry out the connector and apply a coating of dielectric grease to it and put it back together.

Some moisture, salt ( allowing conduction ) or other matter allowing the water to conduct, gives a low resistance path to the ground. So the sonealert makes a low volume, high pitch noise until the connector drys off again.
"

or this post:  http://www.subarufor...llo-help-25903/

again ferret to the rescue:

"Look in the manual for replacing one of the bulbs in the headlight. It has How to remove the grill.

The 'sonealert' ( Beep Beep ) when you lock the doors has a high resistance to ground thru it's connector from salt and water. It's
mounted front and center behind the grill, on the center vertical upright. Simply disconnect the connector, clean it thoroughly, coat it with some Dielectric grease, and put it all back together.

Common problem .... IF you have GOOD Young Ears !!!! I can no longer hear the high pitch when someone comes to me with the problem."

#5 johegman

johegman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ashland, WI

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate the help. Thanks again

#6 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,774 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

It is the Rad cap vacuum valve,not some silly beeper.

Why else would removing the cap make a difference?

Is it beeping or buzzing?

#7 johegman

johegman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ashland, WI

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

It was more of a buzzing.  Its stopped now so not sure which it was but we will see when it gets sloppy up here again if it returns. 

Thanks guys

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: radiator, buzzing, coolant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users