Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a stock EA82 clear 27s?

I know this has been covered before but searching didn't yield any clear answers. I have an '88 GL Wagon and a set of 14" pugs. I'm planning on getting some 27x8.5x14 Kuhmos, but I don't know if they'll fit stock. I'm not shy of a bit of trimming but I'd rather not lift it, at least right away. If anyone has some pics of a stocker with bigger tires I'd love to see them. Thanks

Travis

Hey Travis,

I am in the process of doing a lift on my EA81 and putting on 26 inch tires. I have done alot of searching on this board and from everything I have read you will not be able to fit 27" tires without lots of rubbing. Even with a 3" lift you might still have rubbing issues in high flex situations and sharp turns.

If you plan on getting a lift you should probably wait till then (if you can) to get tires.

I put 26's on a stock EA82 with a healthy suspension and the rears rubbed under hard bumps with the trunk empty- with anything more than 30 pounds in the back it was rubbing under moderate bumps. I installed front springs from an 86-89 Honda Accord onto the rear shocks and it took care of the rubbing.

I ran 27x8.50-14 muders on my EA82 wagon with nothing more than cranking up the stock adjusters and triming the front fenders :) They WILL CLEAR! but U will need to roll the rear wheel well lip up, hammer down the seam on the fire wall (in the back of the front wheel wells) and trim out the front fenders about 1 1/2" bigger and strait across the front level with the bottom of the front bumper. I was using Pug alloys with mine, I wheeled the #&&! out of mine, and after those mods I NEVER had a clearance problem :headbang:

mcbrat told me they are just a tad bit bigger than 185 80 13s, and i am counting on them fitting my ea81 without a lift. there are at least 2 guys runing around with ea82s stock with 27s. so seems to me they will fit.

30s fit with a 3 inch lift, but high speed bumps would rub like crazy

You said yourself the car is rusted out. You can MAKE 27"s fit :) I suggest a 3 to 5 pound BFH and a 4" grinder with cutoff wheels. Make sure you get the right cutoff wheels for your grinder as they are rated differently. Just smash and cut anything in your way :D

Good luck

Air shears are THE BOMB! when it comes to triming fenders :D They are very eazy to controll, and the edge they leave is so smooth that U dont have to do anything to it. (ie: it will not cout U if U slide youre hand acros it :clap: ) I wonte use ANYTHING else to cut fenders with anymore ;) The BFH comes in very handy for the body seam runing down to fire wall.

Okay I just check the acctual size of 205/75/14 it equals 26/8./14. Mine got the piss cut cut out of them in the front and the back rubbed on EVERY bump. 175/70/13 are only a 23" tall tyre. Try them out, before you cut and let us know how yours comes out. There are alot of veriables, like the condition and highth adjustment on the susspention etc.