Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Chassis From Junkyard

Hypothetical situation here... I don't want to jinx myself :D. So far, it seems every project I come up with falls apart. This one shouldn't, but I'm not taking any chances *crosses fingers*.

Say somebody ran across a wagon in reasonable shape in a junkyard. He doesn't trust the engine and/or tranny, but the chassis has little enough rust on it to deem it darn near beautiful by New York standards. Having a good EA82 sitting in a rot-ridden chassis, along with a good pushbutton 5spd, this guy figures it'd be worth slapping 'em in the new chassis. Fix the rust on it, and redo the underbody covering, and it'd be a wonderful vehicle.

Only problem is, I'm not sure how the whole registration/titling works out, coming from a junkyard. I'd have to assume that a junkyard would bother to keep the titles around for a vehicle that was in reasonable shape... something they'd expect somebody may purchase in whole. On the other hand, if the yard either neglected to save the title, or never received it in the first place, it'd complicate things rather well.

I don't believe it would qualify as a salvaged vehicle, since its being junked was not the result of an accident. Since it was not in an accident, it can't be transferred over to an insurance company,. It's got a bad halfshaft, the engine leaks oil quite a bit (First time I've seen oil on the underside of the hood. I loved watching the oil burn off the exhaust after I finished swapping the exhaust into my current Loyale). Since it's not a salvaged vehicle, I won't be able to get a salvage title.

Anyway, how is this normally handled?

Have you asked the wrecking yard any of these questions? They will probably know. It seems to me that yards are required to have title to the cars on the lot - I recall having to sign over the title when my 79 Malibu went to the happy hunting grounds.

If the car is in the junkyard, it is required to have a salvage certificate. But....

99% of junkyards will not turn the titles in when they acquire cars from people. If the car came from an auction or insurance company, it WILL have a salvage certificate. If it came from a private individual, most likely it will have a clean title, already signed and ready to transfer, sitting in the yard's file cabinet. That's how it always works out at the yard I work at.

hey noel, want my wagon? rust free except for a tiny spot on the tailgate... throwin in my h-alloy wheels and tires off the RX.. spfi, 4wd, bad auto trans.. engine runs great (has stuck oil plug) also needs front brakes, but i have 2 brand new rotors i'm also throwin in..

interior is mint, the body is dent free, and the paint is still glossy. ice cold a/c and everything works. power windows, etc..

i have a 5-speed pushbutton 4wd trans here as well along with the hole driveline. and 4 like new coil over struts..

nice clean title and only 140 some thousand on the ticker..

I would... except this little problem called "broke." :rolleyes:. I couldn't offer enough to you to do it justice.

The guy at the j/y wants $300 for the chassis, though that was before I yanked the exhaust off from it. Seein' as I paid $50 for the exhaust, I ought to pay $250 for the entire chassis. The engine in it runs, but it leaks like a sieve... a good reseal, and I might have a backup EA82 with only 98k on her.

Second complication: According to one of two guys running the yard, they might be looking for someone to work a day or two a week (one of the guys is going to be driving charter busses a few days a week, on a varying schedule). If I can arrange my full time job around it, I figure I'd see what kind of deal I can work out with them. Something along the lines of "Well, I want that chassis. You want some extra help.How many days of my helping do you want for that chassis?" Since they're a "U Pull It" yard, and they're nice guys, they've mentioned that it shouldn't be a problem to let me set up both wagons side by side on the lot, and use their hoist and what not to do the swap.

I'm run all of this past the owner of the yard, and get his opinion on it. Even if the work -> chassis doesn't pan out, the wife has promised that the latest I'll have that chassis is the end of June. I've got a buddy that races modifieds, who has no problem taking a weekend off to do the swap at his place. Worst case scenario, I have my dad drive up from his place with his trailer, haul it back home, and do it there.

My '92 passed inspection this morning :banana:, so I've got a ride until I can do the swap... no rush.

i am going through the same problem too. what i have found is, if you have a bill of sales, arizona will get you a title, then you can just register in what ever state you wish. or what i am doing is getting a good mechanic friend to use the vin and put a mechanics lean on it. he will get the title for the car(at my expence), then sign it over to me.