Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil pressure light when just cranking after engine rebuild

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rallynutdon

rallynutdon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Reading PA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

Just rebuilt engine with new bearings. Cranking for approx 1 minute and the oil light doesn't go off. In the past, knowing everything was lubricated well, I've never tried this, just left it fire and if oil light didn't go off after 2 or 3 seconds (always did) I'd be prepared to shut it off.  Anyone ever tried this method to make sure the pump is pumping oil? Should the light go off with just normal cranking after a minute? TIA

#2 ocei77

ocei77

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Monticello,NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

The light won't go off until it's running for constant pressure.

As long as the oil leve is good, fire it up!

O.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Just rebuilt engine with new bearings. Cranking for approx 1 minute and the oil light doesn't go off. In the past, knowing everything was lubricated well, I've never tried this, just left it fire and if oil light didn't go off after 2 or 3 seconds (always did) I'd be prepared to shut it off.  Anyone ever tried this method to make sure the pump is pumping oil? Should the light go off with just normal cranking after a minute? TIA

Yeah.....the oil pump will take a bit to prime.

It is a good idea to do that way though.

Just crank a few more times till it goes out before reconnecting the coil and running.

If it REALLY doesn't want to prime, you can jack the rear of the car up as high as you can to tip the oil forward into the pump cavity.

#4 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yeah.....the oil pump will take a bit to prime.

It is a good idea to do that way though.

Just crank a few more times till it goes out before reconnecting the coil and running.

If it REALLY doesn't want to prime, you can jack the rear of the car up as high as you can to tip the oil forward into the pump cavity.

It's actually my motor he's talking about. I cranked it for about a minute. 10 seconds of cranking, 5 second pause, repeat, for a total cranking time of about 1 minute. Light never went off. Before putting the oil pan on I filled the oil pump and pickup tube to try and get oil in the pump. 

The switch for the light is supposed to go out when it's above 2.1psi. If I do some math and assume a linear relationship between the speced RPM and pressures in the manual I should be able to get around 10psi while cranking. 

I will probably try starting it and if the light doesn't go out within about 5 seconds I'll kill it.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Crank it for more like 20-30 secs at a time.

I would not want it to be firing and running without oil pressure.  Don't kill your new bearings for impatience.

Crank it until the light goes out.

#6 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

BTW, I've got the coil pack unplugged and fuse to the fuel pump pulled. Last thing I need is to be dumping tons of fuel into the exhaust or risk having it get past the rings and dilute the oil.

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,502 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Fill up the oil filter if you haven't already

#8 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 910 posts
  • PNW

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

If you pull the spark plugs out when you are doing the initial cranking it will spin the engine much faster. Also, it will put less load on the starter motor so you can crank a little longer. This should start the prime pretty quickly.

#9 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Miles, Oil filter always gets filled up.

It was just an issue with priming. It wouldn't build pressure or flow at all. Finally got it to flow and build pressure on the starter by filling the pump through the where the oil pressure switch goes. Once I did that it built pressure just from cranking. Started it up and everything is fine.

#10 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

I installed a rebiuld engine yesterday took 10 seconds for oil light to go out I do not crank them at all just fire it dont want to push all are assembly lube out cranking with no oil preshure is bad thing just fire it remember pump is trying to pull oil up hill and you dont make mutch rpms cranking

#11 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,747 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

Pull the plugs out (also unplug the injectors) and it only takes 10-15 seconds of cranking for the light to go out, and there is no load on the bearings.

#12 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

If you have faith in your work just fire it if not crank it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users