Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping Dashes during and EA_EJ swap..

so, to make wiring and what not easier.. i was wondering if i can swap out the digital GL-10 dash for a legacy/loyal/gl dash? 

and what are the best parts for the swap i.e. suspension, axles, performance, bolt on stuff from other models.. its a fl-10 thats already lifted.. lets make this thing a beast!!

Edited by mike a

Are you the guy with the lifted white wagon with 6 lug wheels that runs around Sandy sometimes? A loyale, gl, or dl analogue cluster will be a direct fit as long as its a 3rd gen. Here is a loyale turbo with turbo analogue cluster on craigslist and it's parting out in oregon city http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/4363960783.html. Or if you find a non turbo cluster just get that cluster and put on a turbo gauge somewhere. People have put in legacy dashes or clusters but it just doesn't look right but it is do able if you really want to put it in.

• Like 1

nope mines a 94 wagon with a big brush guard.. lifted with forester rims. thanks for the heads up!!! know anyone that re drills flywheels? or that would have what i need for the swap? i have the adapter plate already

Are you the guy with the lifted white wagon with 6 lug wheels that runs around Sandy sometimes? A loyale, gl, or dl analogue cluster will be a direct fit as long as its a 3rd gen. Here is a loyale turbo with turbo analogue cluster on craigslist and it's parting out in oregon city http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/4363960783.html. Or if you find a non turbo cluster just get that cluster and put on a turbo gauge somewhere. People have put in legacy dashes or clusters but it just doesn't look right but it is do able if you really want to put it in.

also, its a swap so its an n/a 2.2 just need regular gauges.. but want something clean. 

You can drill out the flywheel your self if you have a drill and a carbide grinding bit. I went to the local hardware store and bought a 1/2" round and clamped it in a vice and just grinded away and just kept putting it on the engine and trying it, works fine. Lets see a pic of your ride :)

There is a guy on Hoglem Rd which is off Bluff Rd that could do it. He is semi retired now and builds hot rods for peolpe, rebuilds engines, machines, and a lot of other custom stuff. I think there is also a machine shop behind fred meyers but not sure on that. Then there is a Darell on Compton Rd who builds custom differentials, gears, axels, lifts, bumpers, and off road stuff like who probably would do it if hes not busy. Parked out in front of his is his lifted nissian truck with flames, lifted green suzuki samuri with custom front and rear bumpers tied together with the rocker protectors and inside roll cage, his lifted f-250 which is yellow/cream color, and he has a couple other rigs around like that to give you a idea what to look for if you go that route.

• Like 1

There is a guy on Hoglem Rd which is off Bluff Rd that could do it. He is semi retired now and builds hot rods for peolpe, rebuilds engines, machines, and a lot of other custom stuff. I think there is also a machine shop behind fred meyers but not sure on that. Then there is a Darell on Compton Rd who builds custom differentials, gears, axels, lifts, bumpers, and off road stuff like who probably would do it if hes not busy. Parked out in front of his is his lifted nissian truck with flames, lifted green suzuki samuri with custom front and rear bumpers tied together with the rocker protectors and inside roll cage, his lifted f-250 which is yellow/cream color, and he has a couple other rigs around like that to give you a idea what to look for if you go that route.

yeah sandy machine did my heads.. he said he doesn't have the right drill to do it.. thanks for the heads up.. this is the last little piece other than the damn wiring (not a little piece) pics coming soon.. lots to do still. any ideas on any other "mods" would be greatly appreciated

Prwa101 lives somewhere around cherryville and has a ej'ed white wagon that he is building who might be able to help you. There is another white lifted wagon up that way not sure if its engine swapped though. Prw101 works for general disorder who owns a Subaru only shop in portland they do everything from engine swaps to regular maintenance. I know for sure they can do the flywheel and harness if you need that done. There also is a gen 1st brat getting ej'ed on Bluff Rd just a couple houses from the end of kelso to the right then. Then there is a silver 2nd gen brat running around with a 2.2 in it the owner Greg lives in the neighborhood behind 7eleven.

• Like 1

Yeah I live in sandy and pretty much what he said^. I over hear GD on the phone today talking to someone about a ej harness. So I'm going to assume this would be you? Haha. And our shop is in Milwaukee. Superior Soobie and Import. We were actually just working on Mike Apeals old wagon today, the lifted blue one.... Wiring ej harness mess.....

As far as the harness let me know if you want us to strip it for you, prolly could drop it off at my house because its closer than the shop. I live by the post office now. My parents live up on top of Colman rd.

One of our guys can prolly redrill the flywheel. As far as the adaptor plate, what/who made it?

Seems as though the sandy area lifted Subaru crowd is growing! Good to see it!

Prwa

Yeah just be prepared to wait forever if you have GD do it. You guys are just getting to Mike Appels old car? Wasn't there a thread on here a couple months ago where that guy was waiting for It to be started?

Not cool... That white wagon was a swap and swaps take time for a shop to do it. Rick didn't feel comfortable sending it to you half done up and have it crap out on the way there. We're a growing shop and at the time my knowledge was limited at the ej swap stuff, thus is why I needed Rick to help, then when i did start to fix it, it wasnt fast enough. but with many other Riggs needed fixed it was on the back burnner just like mikes car. And as far as mikes old car, if only you knew the mess it was. We had to tare the old harness out because it was such a mess. Truthfully the only thing it'd be good for is drivin into the dump. It's hard to get motivated to polish a turd.

I personably am sorry it took so long to try and get that car finished.. But on the bright side looks like you did pretty well for yourself. :)

One reason why I'd take his harness at my house and do it on my time.

Prwa

• Like 1

Not cool... That white wagon was a swap and swaps take time for a shop to do it. Rick didn't feel comfortable sending it to you half done up and have it crap out on the way there. We're a growing shop and at the time my knowledge was limited at the ej swap stuff, thus is why I needed Rick to help, then when i did start to fix it, it wasnt fast enough. but with many other Riggs needed fixed it was on the back burnner just like mikes car. And as far as mikes old car, if only you knew the mess it was. We had to tare the old harness out because it was such a mess. Truthfully the only thing it'd be good for is drivin into the dump. It's hard to get motivated to polish a turd.

I personably am sorry it took so long to try and get that car finished.. But on the bright side looks like you did pretty well for yourself. :)

One reason why I'd take his harness at my house and do it on my time.

Prwa

Yeah it did all work out in the end, and I did get a refund, but there's no excuse for waiting 8 months for a car that I was told I'd have in 3 weeks. Sorry but it's a fact. I was trailed along for 7 out of 8 of those months with promises of pictures, and deadlines. And then to hear of other members with similar experiences. Only difference was I'm not local, so I wasn't in his face asking why my car wasn't done. I fully understand all the aspects of the situation, and was very patient. And I accept your apology, even though it really wasn't your fault. Luckily Rick did stick to his words when it came to getting a refund, but it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

Yeah I live in sandy and pretty much what he said^. I over hear GD on the phone today talking to someone about a ej harness. So I'm going to assume this would be you? Haha. And our shop is in Milwaukee. Superior Soobie and Import. We were actually just working on Mike Apeals old wagon today, the lifted blue one.... Wiring ej harness mess.....

As far as the harness let me know if you want us to strip it for you, prolly could drop it off at my house because its closer than the shop. I live by the post office now. My parents live up on top of Colman rd.

One of our guys can prolly redrill the flywheel. As far as the adaptor plate, what/who made it?

Seems as though the sandy area lifted Subaru crowd is growing! Good to see it!

Prwa

flywheel done thanks to Kris Gil-Night.  i would love to drop that harness off!!!! i'll be working on rig over the weekend.. i did call ssi a couple days ago. i have a 94 wagon, outback struts and a big ugly brush guard on the front as well. this GL-10 is gonna be sweet. we gotta get a crew together and rally. but in the mean time i want to get it finished.. haha.. so.. wiring harness. digital dash, and the tach.. easier to get aftermarket tach than wire existing one? I'm also having a real hard time sourcing an obd2 harness and edu.. i have obd1 but rick said it was a pain in the rump roast.. but i might just have to go that route anyway.