Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Leaky E82

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 suprjohn

suprjohn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • North Platte, NE

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

So my '89 DL wagon has a very gritty dirty engine. 

I'm wondering how big of a deal it is to replace the valve cover gaskets. Drivers side looks kind of tough, passenger side doesn't look too bad. Hints, advice welcome. 

Also, what other common oil leaks should I look into?

John

#2 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 661 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Pretty much the only places they leak are everywhere.    :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help it.

#3 TheWanderer

TheWanderer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

So my '89 DL wagon has a very gritty dirty engine. 

I'm wondering how big of a deal it is to replace the valve cover gaskets. Drivers side looks kind of tough, passenger side doesn't look too bad. Hints, advice welcome. 

Also, what other common oil leaks should I look into?

John

Pretty much the only places they leak are everywhere.    :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Welcome to the world of Subaru ;) They are engineered to leak oil :P lol

Out of all the Subies I've owned, and all the ones my friends own, I've come to the conclusion that its usually valve cover gaskets and rear main seals that tend to leak most often.  Also the drain plugs.  When I worked for Firestone, they told us that we had to replace the drain plug crush washer on every Subaru during an oil change, or else it would come back to the shop leaking.  Even if they exaggerated, a 3 pack of em is $2.  Not much for a little extra piece of mind :)

Edited by TheWanderer, 19 April 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#4 Discombobulated

Discombobulated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Thornton, CO

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Passenger is obviously easier but drivers isn't too bad removing the battery helps a bit and I had a lift when I did mine and that was nice too:) but the only leak I have is what looks to be the crank seal maybe?Middle by the timing belt cover, but it's minor so I'm going to wait for the TB replacement to do it all.

Edited by Discombobulated, 19 April 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,653 posts
  • WV

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Easy.  get a 10mm ratcheting wrench for the rear lower drivers side cover bolt(s).  without that it's much more annoying, otherwise they're easy.

replace the grommets to while you're at it, they're old, brittle, and in horrible shape by now usually.

#6 superpoo93

superpoo93

New User

• Gold Subscribers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • las vegas

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

I have never had luck with using the valve cover gasket. I use permatex only, not only as a gasket but I put a bead on the flange of the bolt and inside part of the grommets. It may still seep but not drip... The drivers side is tight, might want to loosen the motor mount a lift it a bit to try get more clearance.

#7 suprjohn

suprjohn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • North Platte, NE

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

Thanks guys!

John

#8 Oregon Bugaru

Oregon Bugaru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Eugene, Oregon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

valve covers are pretty easy, and Elite was right about changing the grommets, is a simple extra step to give peace of mind that it was done right.

If you go with the liquid gasket it's really easy to put too much on the surface. Just be mindful of that.

I had a first gen legacy that would leak oil right onto the exhaust manifold. Whenever the car would stop smoking after going up a hill I would know it's time to check and add more engine oil... Cause there wasn't enough in there to leak out....

#9 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,381 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

valve covers are pretty easy, and Elite was right about changing the grommets, is a simple extra step to give peace of mind that it was done right.

If you go with the liquid gasket it's really easy to put too much on the surface. Just be mindful of that.

I had a first gen legacy that would leak oil right onto the exhaust manifold. Whenever the car would stop smoking after going up a hill I would know it's time to check and add more engine oil... Cause there wasn't enough in there to leak out....

I had a legacy that either burned or leaked oil and I knew it was time to add oil when the lifters started ticking.I never changed the oil  on that car, I just changed the filter every once in a while...

Edited by Uberoo, 23 April 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#10 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

When you do the timing belts, behind the cam sprocket is a seal.   I replaced the seals the first time I did timing belts in '95.  However, I still had an oil leak.  Found out there is an O-Ring behind the seal.  I don't recall exactly how far you need to go to replace the o-ring.   I believe you can do it all from the front.

New grommets on valve cover bolt holes works wonders.

#11 suprjohn

suprjohn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • North Platte, NE

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

Thanks again Guys!

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users