Ultimate Subaru Message Board

couple issues with ej swap

bratman18

Sorry about giving you the wrong color code for VSS.  One thing I do know is when mine was tapped in at the optional cruise control connector the ECU did not like the signal.  It caused the engine to go into safe mode intermittently, approx 50% of the time it wouldn't rev past 4400rpm.   

also since your obdII check this out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AulzhoggZfFGdFZVbjladjJKaWFqX0swSEdHR2xCNHc#gid=0

he says the obdII can have problems with 12V VSS signal

Edited by Carl B.

The yellow red wire actually comes from the ecu, and the main relay. It's a pig tail that comes off. It was labeled but unfortunately the label came off.

That's a 12v power wire that's on the EJ "on" circuit.

I left it so if you wanted to add anything elseyou wanted turned on by the EJ ECU......Kinda like the "amp on" on "power ant." optional connector on a stereo.

Guess everyone is as stumped as we are. Even though this came right out of a known running car, and everything worked well, we are going to try swapping the ecu tonight to see if by chance that has an issue. Crossing my fingers.

It's not the ecu. Not sure I have any other choice but to start over. Too bad I have so much sunk into this now.

You state that the EJ came out a known running car. Do the cam/crank sprockets match the FI system? 

In other words, does everything match - ECU/harness/engine sensors/sprockets?

You state that the EJ came out a known running car. Do the cam/crank sprockets match the FI system?

In other words, does everything match - ECU/harness/engine sensors/sprockets?

Yeah everything came straight out of a car I had for several months. I drove it home, and it always ran awesome when I ran it. We took the motor and harness out, resealed the motor and put new timing belt and stuff on it. Sent the harness out to have it trimmed down. Installed it all and it started right up as soon as the necessary wires were hooked up. But even after checking everything, we can't get it to rev up. And it doesn't throw any codes except for the rear o2 sensor.

post a video of thats going on.

so you telling me that you only have the fuel pump power, power on,and switched power hooked up, right now?  did you check and see if the harness worked before you installed it in the car? thouse wires should get it to run 

I'll take a video next time I'm there. We have all wires hooked up that need to be. Fuel pump, switched power with ignition, and I know there are a couple others. I can easily grab the sheet when I'm there as well. It does run, it runs well, just won't rev past around 4k rpms. It seems to be in limp mode and we can't figure out why.

It bogs down and just sputters but will continue to run. When you let off the gas, it will run rough but comes out of it. Yes we checked the fuel pressure while running and revving and it is all good. Can't remember exact numbers but they were more than sufficient.

Have you checked your timing marks since you put the engine in? id try resetting the ECu once pull the pos cable and let it sit.

Yes. We have checked timing a few times now. Even retimed the drivers cam gear because it could have gone a tooth either way. Still the same. Also already reset the ecu. Undid the battery, and also tried unplugging the ecu. I also plugged my ecu into another daily driven 96 legacy and it works perfectly. So I know it's not the ecu. Edited by bratman18