Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2000 lego L awd tranny

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

tranny revs as if in neutral for a couple of seconds before grabbing in 1,2,3,or D. There is no delay in reverse. Common? Just a part or get rid of tranny?

Thx Jim

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,588 posts
  • Texas

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

more details on the vehicle would help

some folks have found 3 drain/fill/drive/repeat cycles and some Trans-X to be helpful.

trans-x.png

#3 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

does it do the same thing if you shift it manually, 1, 2 ,3 D?

#4 Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

Once the initial delay is over going into any forward gear, the tranny shifts and drives smoothly and normally. There is no slippage at all. No burnt smell to the fluid, and only 128 kms on the car. Does not do the delay thing unless the shift lever has passed through neutral. Thx Jim

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,551 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

This is a problem that seems to happen to only 99 and 00 Legacies. My 99 has had the problem, which started 6 years ago. I fix with Trans-X treatment about once a year. Read this post from this forum from 6 years ago. It is lengthy, and tells you want you need to know.............

FIXED!! Trany delayed forward engagement

Trans X will fix the problem.

#6 Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

Thank you gentlemen, will try to source Trans X in Canada. Will let you know how we made out. Thx Jim

#7 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,551 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

Thank you gentlemen, will try to source Trans X in Canada. Will let you know how we made out. Thx Jim

Recommend you drain and fill your tranny's ATF, and also replace the spin on tranny filter. If tranny fluid looks dark when draining, then recommend draining and filling 3 times, with short drives between refills. Reason being.......only about half the ATF can be drained out at one time, the non-drain half stays in the torque converter. The 3 times fill and drain does a good job of removing worn out ATF. Add the Trans-X, when replacing the ATF.

Good luck, I have a high level of confidence that Trans-X, the 15 oz size can, will fix your tranny.

Trans-X is carried by many auto parts stores, and even at Wal-Mart, and other big box stores.

#8 Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hello again. Absolutely no luck finding Trans X in BC. Does anyone know where we can get it, or do we have to take a trip? Is it still called the same?  Thx Jim

#9 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,872 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

http://www.canadiant...m?intDocID=2280

#10 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,551 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hello again. Absolutely no luck finding Trans X in BC. Does anyone know where we can get it, or do we have to take a trip? Is it still called the same?  Thx Jim

Here in the U.S. Trans-X is available at most auto parts stores, and even Wal-Mart. Prolly best to call some stores to ask if they stock the product. Can't believer it is not available in Canada. I do know it is petroleum based, so it cannot be sent thru the postal system.

If you find it, buy the smaller 15 oz bottle, not the larger 32 oz bottle. Don't know what that converts to in metric sizing where you live.

#11 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,588 posts
  • Texas

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

maybe contact them ; http://www.crc-canad...anyInfo/hq.aspx

#12 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,539 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

It's possible Trans-D is marketed under a different name in Canada.

Rooster, is there a difference in the formulas between the 15oz and 32oz bottles?
I ask because I've used both in my friends 99 forester which has the DFE problem. Either one seems to work for about 6 months, then the DFE comes back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users