Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 subaru loyale won't run after starting

TPaul

THis is a new problem for sure. Only battery replacement recently.  About 3 months ago, timing belts replaced due to seized damper (tensioner). Car dies as soon as the ignition is moved from start to run position. No sputtering.  When problem first started, it seemed to lack power on acceleration on low RPMs and we attributed that to the dead battery? Will test voltage at the fuel pump in run position. Pump works fine in the start position with the clutch released, but will check in run.  I've assumed that the ignition switch is OK because we have everything else working in run including power to the coil. Thanks for your suggestions.

It might still be the switch.

The coil does not draw any current with the engine stopped so a simple voltage check might not show a bad switch.

I would eliminate the run contacts by running a temporary jumper wire (fused) between coil + and battery +.

If it runs now,you will need to remove the wire to kill the motor.

Thanks for your input all of you.  Problem has been solved and I learned a bit about the loyale that I didn't know before.  1)  With the green test connectors connected and the ignition on, the fuel pump recycles. No need to install jumpers or pull ignition relay to prove ignition is OK.. 2) If the Mass Flow Sensor is disconnected at the  Sensor and the sensor is faulty, the car will still run. Reconnect and car will stall. So the problem was this sensor which had a lot of oil in the filter and the intake and unfortunately  the car was smoking like crazy. Pulled plugs.  Compression check - # 3 cylinder no compression.  Conclusion:   Rings no 3 cylinder gone resulting in blow back contaminating the mass flow sensor shutting the car down in run but would still start momentarily. So I will be doing a block swap with another engine I have in the next couple weeks and we should be good to go for another round!   Thanks again for your input.

• Like 1