Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm in a small town about 4 hrs from home and on the trip over here my 96 Subie impreza ow was vibrating pretty badly from around 52mph up to 80 (which is as fast as I went) with a small amount of taper between 60 and 70mph. I just assumed I needed a new alignment and/or tire balance/rotate. Then going downhill my CEL light came on. I was going to get the code pulled when I got to my destination (which was the only next place with an auto parts store) but when I woke up the next morning to bring it in to autozone the CEL light was gone but today, two days later, it came back on my way out of town so I had it read and its a coming back as torque converter clutch solenoid code. Why would this code be coming up twice in 3 days and going away on its own once when the only symptoms are car vibration and am I safe to drive home back over the mountains without destroying my vehicle?

So my front passenger tire blew out on the interstate. Tire had plenty of tread and I checked the PSI 350miles ago. That CEL mentioned earlier still hasn't shown up again and the only symptoms I'm having is the vibrating at speed and play in the steering wheel. Anyone have any idea why my tire would have blown...could it be because I need an alignment or tires balanced and rotated? Could it have anything to do with the torque converter solenoid clutch code from earlier? What should I have a shop look for? Btw, I tried shifting to neutral and into 3rd and that didn't make any difference with the vibrating...I dont know if that says anything but I thought I'd mention it

Edited by cascadeclimbn

The vibration and subsequent tire failure are probably due to a broken belt in the tire, or tread separation.

CEL can not be related to a tire as the ECU doesn't have a way to check tires or any mechanical issue related to the tires.

The code may have come on because of the vibration causing the wiring to the trans to shake and cause an intermittent connection.

How old is the ATF and have you checked the fluid level?

The vibration and subsequent tire failure are probably due to a broken belt in the tire, or tread separation.

This seems the most likely cause of the vibrations to me as well, get 4 new tires (unfortunately, unless you can have the exact same tire ground down to the same tread depth) and go from there.

Check your ATF fluid is always a starting point. Right level, right color, no burning smell.

Can almost guarantee that the tire = your vibration. And yes, get matching tires or something with 1/4 inch diameter of what's on your car.

Chances are your larger issue was discovered and will be solved by the tire replacement. Keep an eye one the trans but the vibration should be fixed now.