Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84' GL Gas Tank Door

I have a 84' GL 2 dr with a broken gas tank door. The door itself is fine, by the plastic closing mechanism is what is broken, not allowing the lid to stay closed. 

Attached a couple of pictures that hopefully will make my statement clearer.

What I am wondering is if anyone knows where I can get a new, used, part, of if not, any suggestions on fixing it, or modifying.

Thanks in advance for all your in put.

post-57294-0-34613100-1426004006_thumb.jpg

post-57294-0-07600800-1426004010_thumb.jpg

I personally prefer the locking door option.

This last weekend I went to get gas and the locking cap I am using wouldn't hardly come off.

It is one of those that you have to hold the key over to be able to remove the cap and it would't 

hardly budge.

If we could trust that no one would NOT come along and try to steal gas or put extra crap in the tank

I would not be near so adamant about keeping my gas tank locked.  

I just don't trust STUPID, a lot of them end up dead, not near all of them though. 

Here is what mine looks like now, I do need to find a washer to lay between the lock and door.post-38620-0-06925400-1426093126_thumb.jpgpost-38620-0-67394200-1426093146_thumb.jpg

I realize that, I was offering free or low dollar alternate solution for the problem.

I also have a good used gas door with a working button if the O/P wants one. Make offer.

Thanks. You tell me. I truly would have no idea as to what it is worth...much less how to put it on. I am interested though.

Thanks for all the other suggestions.