Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brakes

Simplest upgrade is the ventilated discs and rotors from a Gen2 (1983+). These brakes are mounted on my 1974 DL Sedan:

20140920_150705_zps2pksqkv2.jpg

As noted by others the rear disc brakes from turbo Gen 3 models can be made to fit, there is some grinding and cutting of the rear trailing arm but certainly well worth the effort!

20141023_170708_zps6b0lwccv.jpg

Haha i thought he meant Brats ...

In that case:

1st

Subaru-reagan-brat_lo.jpg

2nd

10352266_486574908144319_246884649214737

3rd:

SubaruSuiren2.gif

Yes, the third gen Brat was known as "Subaru Suiren" based on the impreza.

Sadly Subaru only built a bunch of Prototypes, more info & Photos, ~► Here.

... I uped my rim size to 15". Has anyone done anything to boost breaking performance?

I upsized the Wheels on my Subaru "BumbleBeast" years ago, and never had an issue.

I bet that yours might have a Mix of old brake fluid, dry flexible hoses, worn pads, worn Master Cylinder, etc... Worth Check it / Fix it before starting to swap parts without finding the Problem first.

Kind Regards.

• Like 2

Simplest upgrade is the ventilated discs and rotors from a Gen2 (1983+). These brakes are mounted on my 1974 DL Sedan:

20140920_150705_zps2pksqkv2.jpg

As noted by others the rear disc brakes from turbo Gen 3 models can be made to fit, there is some grinding and cutting of the rear trailing arm but certainly well worth the effort!

20141023_170708_zps6b0lwccv.jpg

Your 1974 DL Sedan was originally equipped with all wheel drum brakes????

Edited by 1000 Pistes

and still used the same tandem master cylinder without servo???

the master cylinder is 3/4 ????

I upgraded to a master cylinder/booster (servo) from a later Gen 1 wagon. You have to make sure you remove the residual valve in the master cylinder for the rear brake lines and make the hole in the firewall larger to fit everything.

If the OP, Brett! upgrades his Brat he can use the original master cylinder/booster, just has to remove the residual valve from the rear brake line in the master cylinder.

Edited by Leeroy

By running a larger rotor, I would fabricate a caliper relocation bracket.   I recently bought a Terraflex brake package for my Jeep that did the same thing. It reuses the stock caliper and allows you to run a 13.5" rotor instead of a 11" rotor