Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 SPFI Loyale Won't Start

jread

Other day my car died going up a bridge. Managed to push it over the top and to somewhere safe with a friend to get a tow. It was starting momentarily and would keep running if I reved to 3000+ It was bogging down super hard while driving before dieing and had been running great before then.

Currently it won't even fire up, I've read that it could be dist and rotor so I've already replaced that with no luck. I've got spark (at least one cylinder 1), gas seems to be flowing, and my air filter seems fine.

Going to do more reading but if anyone has any suggestions to speed things up I'd appreciate it.

Dead alternator won't stop a car from running, or starting.  As long as the battery is good, and has charge, the engine will run off the battery.

Those lights glowing dimly can be an indication of low alternator output, so you may have an alternator problem also.

Country code :( haha

Looked for cracked and loose hoses, there is a few looseish ones but nothing cracked, can't start it so don't know how to check for leaks.

Also just got a friend to spray some carb cleaner in the intake and the car sputtered and started for a second, reved as he gave it a squirt or two, then died.

I'm assuming now that it is a fuel supply issue, the only thing I'm confused about is that the pump seems to be buzzing and fuel is in the lines.

Country code :( haha

Looked for cracked and loose hoses, there is a few looseish ones but nothing cracked, can't start it so don't know how to check for leaks.

Also just got a friend to spray some carb cleaner in the intake and the car sputtered and started for a second, reved as he gave it a squirt or two, then died.

I'm assuming now that it is a fuel supply issue, the only thing I'm confused about is that the pump seems to be buzzing and fuel is in the lines.

So I'm getting no spray into the throttle body. I cleaned everything up in there tested the resistance on the injector everything checked out but no fuel still.

The line that doesn't go to the filter seems to be getting no fuel so I assume there is something jamed but not sure where. When I pulled off the filter looking thing attached to the throttle body no air would pass through in any of the three directions. Is this normal?

So the original problem I think was the alternator and its finally kicked it. I charged the battery at the same time as the throttle body clean, forgot to plug my fuel pump back in when I posted last plugged it in and I drove for about 200km and I'm dead again.

Charged the battery off someone's car couldn't make it far enough now I'm stuck again.

Was thinking of doing the maxima alternator swap, will a 2004 one work, or is it just up to 94?

I know the thread says 89-94 or something similar but we don't have any pick and pulls and I haven't been able to find one. There is currently a 2004 available and looks relatively similar and I think I read something about them working with a little extra work but I can't remember.

14661_CMB__ra_p.jpg

You want the earlier model. Pictured is the rockauto catalogue photo for an 89 with the 3.0. Notice the location of the connectors (black port bottom right view, left hand side)
That port on the earlier models is located at the TOP of the alternator when installed in your subaru.
The later model alternators you have linked to have the connection at the BOTTOM of the alternator, which will mean you will have to extend your stock wiring to reach it. If that's not a big deal then go for it. With the earlier model alternator, all you have to do is pull the lines out of the harness from your stock set up and plug them on to the spade terminals on the Nissan alt.

Edited by l75eya

also it appears that the later model alternators top (bottom as photographed) mount has a wider opening, which you will have to take up the space somehow. As it stands, the narrower earlier model alternators are already too wide to begin with, but only just. With my alternator I had to use two washers in between the nissan mounting ear and the subaru alt mount to get it to fit snug. Is there a particular reason you are trying to go with a later model alternator? The 89 model puts out nearly double the amps that your original Subaru alternator does to begin with, and I can't see any reason you would need any more power than that unless you are running 100 fog lights and a seriously boss stereo system.

Someone has a used one of the newer model for sale up here. New I'm looking at 175 and I just can't pay that. Used I've got one around 60-70 but there is the issue of fit... Unfortunately things in Canada are expensive and from what I understand all of the pick and pull yards here have closed.

Seems to fit, width is almost dead on maybe a touch loose. The hole is slightly larger at the pivot point to but shouldn't be a big deal if I just push it to the edge and tighten it down. I will also have to make a bracket to get it to reach the adjuster but again easy enough to sort out.