Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So here we go I have a 06 Lego 2.5I I love this can the problem I'm having is yesterday I was on the road all day no problems went home and forgot something long story short got back in the car hit the road made it aout a mile and lost 95% of it's power and strarted to knock pulled over poped the hood she was smoking but would still idel at about a grand with a light knock try to move knock gets loud and there's no power got her home did a block test normal checked plugs found i need vavle cover gaskets but plug 3 was loose fixed that still in the bad and now burning oil I think ring any ideas thanks guys

you must look at the crank timing - ALL the marks must be on. Timing can slip with the belt OK. Crank timing AND cam timing must be correct - you have an interference engine.

is this original timing gear? The toothed idler fails frequently when old - tensioner occasionally. Bad tensioner or idler can let the timing slip AND allow belt to slap around inside covers making racket.

spark plug issue is weird......

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

yeah - that timing SYSTEM needs to be serviced at either; 105K miles OR 105 months, whichever comes first. An 06 model was probably put on the road in 05 so - that's 120 months or more?

you may not know you trashed the valves untill you re-time the engine - I suppose leak-down testing would tell you.

you have options - all will cost money. Minimum is DIY the timing belt stuff - $150 - $250 dollars and a weekend. next worst is that PLUS head rebuild with some valves.,

OR, get an engine from a wreck put in - but that engine should get the timing belt stuff serviced too.

If you are gonna hire it done, find a shop to test the valves before spending other money. compression/leak down 'should' tell you if just the timing service will get it back on the road.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

fair chance they will work, or some of them - someone else will know I hope.

get the covers off and confirm that is where the problem is - I'm just guessing really. Maybe some part numbers on the idlers will match up with numbers on the kit you have for your 97?

Seems likely it's a timing system problem but.....?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

But..? Don't like the sounds of that

lol!

Just that it's kinda educated guesswork on our part and the problem could be something we've not though of. Some folks have posted video or even audio files and some of the real gurus at this site can sometimes tell what is causing the noise - but I'm not sure you should be trying to run your car anymore until compression/leakdown test is done and timing components are confirmed in good shape.

what did the end of the loose plug look like? was the electrode beat-up?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan