Ultimate Subaru Message Board

crank pulley / harmonic balancer EA82 stuff

OK, pretty sure my first exposure to EA82 ownership was the turbo EA82. It had a harmonic balancer off the crank, rubber cushioning between the crank and the pulley Vees. Non turbo EA82 seem to be just a solid steel pulley with no balance marks, no rubber cushioning, so it ain't exactly a harmonic balancer.

Anyone know if these harmonic balancers were turbo only ? Did the EA81T also have one as well. Any differences felt in going from one type to the other ?

Yeah ?

Nice to see the forum back in order , unharmed :)

Would it be whether the engine has a standard intake manifold vs. a Spider intake manifold?

Only ask due to only seeing one EA82T engine myself, but have seen a N/A EA82 engine with Spider intake what had the harmonic balancer crank pulley on it. Timing belt cover had the timing marks on it also. Just like the ER27 6 cylinder engines do in the XT6's.

I can definitely see how the Spider intake would obscure viewing the flywheel timing marks with how the air intake snorkel is routed. Therefore, Subaru put the timing marks on the crank pulley.

Now as to the why of the damper in the crank pulley between the intake types is still up for debate.

well, I picked a good topic for discussion eh? :)

my 1985 first series GLTA 4WD sedan I suspect was the original engine had the damper and for some reason I drilled, well, actually, I lined up a timing  belt drive pulley on the back of the balancer and drilled some pretty coarse metal out of it to fit spring roll pins from balancer to pulley for fitment, not to drift of centre - 10 years ago - I forgot why. Two 180 degrees apart and bought a used import from Japan I suppose it was, also had balancer and non spider manifold. There have been some businesses about that reco harmonic balancers, but I suspect as cheap imports replace skills and busniess viability, may no longer be able to get these done. Only ever see solid one piece crank pulleys on NA, carb and mpfi here in Oz

Wonder if anyone has had a crank balanced for these EA82T or even NA and found benefit ?

Edited by jono

Back in the 90s, I knew a few shops who dabbled in nodding the EA82t, cos it was still worthwhile spending that kind of money.

They would use sandpaper to balance cranks cos that was all the material needed to get to work. A lot of effort for little gain. Helped a bit at the top end, but were also spending time porting by this stage also.

Draw your own conclusions about doing it, but if I had to pay for the work, I personally wouldn't bother