Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aluminum Radiator for EA81? Or repair option?

So I have been very slowly losing coolant in Blue (1984 EA81), I am positive it couldn't be through the head gasket because I just replaced them (with FEL-PRO). I was examining the radiator today when I realized a wet spot on the lower half below the electric fan.  So apparently I have a small leak in my raidatior. I was looking on rock -auto and I found a radiator that looks exactly like mine, which means it is probably copper. I know that aluminum radiators are superior to copper, so I was wondering if there was any options out there for the EA81 as far as aluminum is concerned. 

As far as other repair options, would it be okay to use Stop Leak in this scenario? I dont like the stuff cause I have heard so much negative crap about it, but would that be a viable option in this instance?  Or should I just suck it up and blow the $125 and replace the darn thing with a copper one if I cannot find an aluminum option? 

Opinions? Wisdom? 

Just did head gaskets last October and my junkyard radiator is now lying to me... it started out 1/4 to a little above half on temp gauge in the winter but with the heat coming on it's on it way up knocking on the door of the hot box plus i ordered a OEM thermostat

You could take yours off and bring it into a radiator shop to get fixed.

A good local radiator shop (best if they have been around years and years) can use your original and completely rebuild it for maybe a little more than a cheap replacement (I would guess $175 to $225) and do it in a couple days time.  I would never use that stop leak crap.  I recently did an aggressive flush on my new (to me) Pathfinder's entire cooling system and I learned some interesting things and used some quality products.  But, the Pathfinder's previous owner had neglected the cooling system, was rusting, and contaminated so it really needed flushing.  My Subaru's fluid is properly mixed and is not contaminated but I do a regular flush and fill on it every couple years still.  Good luck with yours.  Cheers!

if your old one is copper and is still in desent shape its very easy to solder the hole closed most 99c stores or radio shack or what ever sell soldering irons and soldering kits its would cost less then $5 depending on witch soldering iron you get i just did my heater core in my truck last month the only thing i dont like about aluminum radiators is that aluminum cant be soldered

• Like 1

The other posters are correct that a copper radiator can be repaired (rather easily) compared to an aluminum one.  Copper dissipates heat better but what really makes the difference is that the cooling system is internally clean and functioning well, thermostat functioning, no blockages (heater core), properly burped of all air, proper water level, etc.  I don't think the heat dissipation is that different between the metals and I think the corrosion issues are nearly the same.  The last radiator shop I talked with about the topic said the main problem with Aluminum is if a stone or something hits it and causes a leak the repair is rather expensive weld compared to the copper repair.  Radiator shops dissemble and rebuild quality built (older) radiators all the time yet cheaply made ones with plastic, glue, etc. (like many made these days) they can't work on.  Sometimes the shop can even add a row of fins to make it more effective at cooling ..sometimes not.  Hope this helps and good luck on your Suby.   :headbang:

• Like 1

I had my radiator leaking and took it to a repair shop. The guy showed me all of the areas that the radiator was leaking and told me it was not worth fixing and to purchase a new one. Everywhere the coolant leaked it left a white powdery residue. I wonder if I should have got a second opinion? Anyway I purchased the plastic/aluminum replacement from Rock Auto. It seems to work fine but I am noticing it running warmer than it used too. I suspect the electric fan is not working. I haven't really spent anytime trying to figure it out yet. For one thing I cannot get the fan unplugged from the sensor switch and I gave up on it for now lol.

Ha ha ha!ya have to have special fuji plug puller! Just kidding it takes hours to figure out but once ya do they are easy.. the somewhere else under the hood there is another one to figure out lol !those stupid plugs! My plug melted together to I tried doing the ace hardware blade/socket style and them dammed things a junky! So I ended up hardwiring with twist caps.. lol !

• 2 weeks later...