Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't seem to pinpoint an oil leak-- 96 impreza outback

I have an oil leak (maybe multiples) coming from my 96 subaru impreza outback 2.2L (268,000 miles). There was gunk and dirt and oil pretty much everywhere so to help find the leak we cleaned everything up with degreaser. After driving it around I found no signs of dripping but I am getting lots of smoke off my exhaust especially where the connector is. I'm thinking it could be a main seal or separator plate or perhaps even a differential leak but nothing is obvious so I'm quite unsure without any real knowledge of what to do next. In the last 4k miles I've only had to add a quart of oil to the car which doesn't seem like a lot given how much it has been smoking. The diff oil was slightly low as well as the tranny fluid but both within range. Any suggestions on what to do now? 

post-52700-0-32943800-1466570622_thumb.jpg

post-52700-0-29461900-1466570637_thumb.jpg

post-52700-0-99563200-1466570647_thumb.jpg

classic seperator leak is my guess. Sounds exactly like my old 97 Impreza. After 1/4 million miles it was going through a quart between changes and especially after going on long uphill climbs I'd get smoke out from under the hood. They always drip right onto the exhaust. If it's managable and you're topping oil off, just leave it. Gotta pull the engine or trans to access it. Put it on the "to do" list if you ever have either out. Dealership has a stainless steel upgraded version and new bolts for about $30. if you ever do clutch etc.

Til then, just keep it topped off and ignore the smoke.

• Like 1

this is the same for mine, I was also getting smoke for a while after cold start. I added 15W40 when it was low on oil (it was all I had) and it seems to have gotten much better. So for me, Short of pulling and doing all that work to a car with 200K on it, I am just thinking about running 15-40, or maybe 10-40. I have only changed the oil when I got the car. 

keep monitoring oil level in the diff and engine and see which contiually decreases - sounds like the engine is obviously loosing some oil.

be nice to clean that up really good and look for fresh oil - that in the picture is all saturated grime from years of use.

you might be burning it or some of it.

Edited by grossgary

• 4 weeks later...

So I've just been monitoring it. The smoke doesnt always happen...any idea why that would be? Also, I don't lose a lot of oil and it only drips a few drops or so when parked overnight. I havent been paying enough attention to whether the smoke is worse after driving uphill or for long distances though I didnt have this problem till I started commuting on the interstate (1hr ea. way). My engine doesnt seem to be making any unusual noises or having performance issues. I might just leave it alone as some have suggested as I'd rather not take the engine out to fix a leak that isnt immediately dire for my engine.