Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new old motor swaped back in

i finaly got a motor back in my loyle its the original motor out of the car i swaped it out for my performance build that spun a bearing like they say dont beef the top end with out doing the bottom end lol any way this motor was in a car i sold and was then sold to some one else who gave it back to me so i got my cars original motor back its back in the car its running like a top but its such a dog its bearly climbing the hill in the driveway on its own my built motor even onits last leg pulled the doner loyale and the double axle car hauler up the same driveway there is a huge differance in the low end torque hopefully ill be able to get some test runs on it before i swap the custom intake in and see how much of what i was geting was from the intake and how much was from the porting and well trying to polish the heads but right now im dieing to get it out on the trails hopefully this weekend ill get it out for a shake down run i still have to repair the damage from johnson valley i have a set of nissan 300zx front struts im gona try to fit on the back there beefy and look like they have the same amount of traval as stock so its worth a shot

So the Nissan 300zx front strut was a direct bolt on to the rear  I did use the subaru bushings on the bottom and top hat on the top and the Subaru spring its the same size as the front wheel drive ea82 rear strut i don't know if the struts I got are any good but there a great alturnitive to the fwd for lifting a 4x4 the part there my old strut bent is almost twice as thick and uses a larger  nut and the spring seat is welded on well see how they hold up

The Nissan strut is twice as thick as the ea82 strut where the ea82 kyb strut bent and the Nissan strut has a reinforced spring perch also  and is the same size as the 2wd ea82 rear strut my stock spring fit perfect on the Nissan strut the Nissan spring is a lot bigger on the top so it can't be used but I bet Honda springs would work just fine there are a lot more options for the Nissan 300zx than for the Subaru sorry if I mixed it up the Nissan strut is a little bit  beefier all around and has 5.55 inch of travel not to bad but the struts i got are leaking so I'll have to get new ones

The Nissan strut is twice as thick as the ea82 strut ...

Somehow I've understood it backwards.

... I bet Honda springs would work just fine there ...

Yep, I posted information regarding such retrofitting, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

That was an interesting story regarding how the old engine went away,

and came back to its same original car; thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
ferp420 that "built motor" sounds really "thumpy"!! Reminds me of an imaginary "4 cylinder Harley" with a pair of cylinders rotated a 180 degrees so instead of a "V twin" it would be a "X quad"!  Although it sounded pretty funky right before you put it to sleep after you reached the garage.

Is it also doing the notorious "Tick of Death" , and had it been doing it for a long time. My 119K Loyale does it a little when warming up but completely stops after a bout a minute after the RPM drops down to 700ish , it's SPFI

thanks

It had a collapsed lifter for a while I tried to fix it a few times but never replaced it the tick of death wasn't that bad until it was close to the end I do think it contributed to the rod bearing failure but that alone wouldn't have caused it in my opinion I think it was the fact that I over loaded over luged  and overluged it 1000 rpms foot to the floor climbing or towing will kill any motor the fact that this little e82 was able to take the abuse so long is a testament to how well it was designed in contrast my ford ranger ate its rod bearings after towing a van for 400 miles it had a 2.4 in it a $12 fix at that time lol and a lot of labor but hay my point being the ea82 is a way better motor I was told by a engineer that the bearings were to small and to fix the issue I could run 302 bearings with a little file or machine work but I never got there I just used the $12 bearing set from Napa this time when I'm rebuild my ea82 I'm gonna use the best of what I have and get new parts I'm also in the middle of rebuilding my 2.2 I used for my 2.2 forester swap I'm thinking maybe junk the forester rob the parts to lift the impressa and the motor for my loyale and I've got a few other projects I could use the parts on

That motor was a lumpy motor I could feel each cylender hit till around 2k rpm all the work I did was bolt on except for porting the heads I was just testing some theories and it worked out well I didn't expect it to last as long as it did I never got it to run just right probably the bad lifter and the computer has a hard time dealing with the mods the top end dident see any gains though so I dought the HP went up much but the available torque was amazing and the power band was smooth and constant the stock set up seems to have a anomalie  around 4500 where the power drops off then picks up again it kinda feels like a automatic shifting  every ea82 I've driven has done it to some exstent