Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 GL10 Turbo 4WD Issues

Hi, I poked around a bit but couldn't see anything specifically titled about the GL10's AWD and why it may not be working. A little disappointed because we are having a lot of snow in MT right now and the car wouldn't make it up the hill. When I went to help I noticed only the passenger side front tire moving.

Can anyone give me a short list of possible things to check or things that might be wrong? I have a friend that's a mechanic but I'd like to not waste his time troubleshooting if we have a couple good solid leads to follow. I saw posts with people talking about AWD buttons on certain models and as far as I know there's nothing like that on these.

The car may be suspect because I bought it off some less that scrupulous.... persons... a while ago so they may have disabled anything that would clunk, make a noise, blow up until I'd bought it.

Thanks for any help!

This one is an auto. Just checked, and it is the 4-speed auto. I have noticed the display showing either 2 or 4 wheel is no longer lit up, not sure if that's anything more than a display issue but neither 2 or 4 wheel lights are on anymore. Not sure when that happened.

Edited by brundl3fly

OK thanks, I hadn't looked at the fuse box. I knew my 2011 Outback Sport had a fuse for 2wd but didn't realize that went all the way back to 1987. I'll give that a look today, hopefully the manual has a fuse diagram as I could not find one on the net easily.

Before I read your response I'd gone to the fuse box. There is a fuse in there which reads "Rear Spin (4wd AT)" so it sounds related but I don't know if it means with the fuse IN the 4wd is active or with the fuse OUT like my 2011 Outback Sport. I'm assuming it's with the fuse IN 4wd would be active. As I've said, no light up display of 2 or 4wd and I've only seen one tire spin. It doesn't sound like it's going to be easy unless someoen has another idea. Thanks!!!

If this gearbox is a 4spd (really need to see a pic of the shifter), then it is the same gearbox as in your outback, and the fuses are the same.

BTW, on the part time 4wd model (3spd gearbox)  the lights on the dash do not light up front wheels only for FWD, & then all 4 for 4wd. they are either all off when in FWD mode, or all on for 4wd (plus the words "4WD" will light up)

I am still waiting for the pic of the shifter (its at my friend's) but it is the 4 speed... unless I am counting wrong. It has the 1 hold button at the bottom as mentioned in the 4eat documentation and there is a "power" light also mentioned. I was looking for an existing pic on the net but was unsuccessful finding the exact one and do not want to confuse matters. I also saw on a year model description the mention in 88 of the air suspension which this car also has. That wasn't mentioned on the 87 model (that I found) but the title says 1987.

Edited by brundl3fly

If you could post a picture of the gear shifter. This would answer the question of which transmission it is. '87 is a maybe year, it maybe a 3 speed which has a fuse in the fuse box or it maybe a 4 speed which should have a fuse on the firewall drivers side. It has been a while since I looked at my '88 but that is where I remember it being.

"1 Hold" button definitely indicates 4EAT transmission which should be full time 4wd.

The centre diff torque split front to rear is controlled by the transmission computer. In wagons, it's hidden behind the trim in the rear left corner of the car (in the cargo area). No idea about where it is in sedans or XT (I guess bolted up under the rear parcel shelf).

But first step is to make sure that there is not a fuse in that holder in the engine bay.

​Thanks for the input. OK as I mentioned earlier in this thread there is a fuse in the regular fuse box marked Rear Spin (4wd AT), 15A. This is not what I'm looking for? If it is, that fuse is installed and is fine. In my newer Outback Sport you only installed the fuse if you wanted 2wd or were towing (what I suppose it was actually meant for) so if it's the same as that car having a fuse IN disabled 4wd. The name of this fuse, Rear Spin, seems to indicate that it needs to be installed in order to make 4wd work, does that fit with what people here know?

That manufacturing date should be a 3at but as the photo shows it's not. The fuse for the 2wd should be located on or around the strut tower drivers side per FSM NOT in the fuse box. I've owned 3 of them and every one of them came with a fuse installed in the holder to disable the 4wd thinking it got better fuel mileage. If the fuse is in it is in 2wd. when the fuse is out (not installed) it is in 4wd full time. 2wd is for diagnostics only and the FSM says DO NOT RUN FOR EXTENDED TIME.

Edited by silverhelme

So the fuse holder was checked, no fuse. For testing he inserted a fuse and the FWD light came on in the display as attached. I assume this is as it's meant to be. With no fuse in there we get no lights at all in that vehicle diagram, is that as expected? I thought maybe the fwd was on in normal operation and when the awd was in use somethign else lit up, am I incorrect?

post-59170-0-85511100-1484084984_thumb.jpg

That is exactly what it should do. Fuse in front wheel drive only. Fuse out standard full time AWD. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I think the "rear spin" fuse is for a sensor that locks the trans when it senses that the rear wheels are spinning at a different speed than the front.

Thanks again for your insight. With the car up on jacks I was told the rear does not spin with any power (can be stopped by hand easily) while the front wants to go. Are there common wear parts that shoudl be checked? There is no noise coming from the system (griding, etc).