Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Differential Bearing Whine, Repair Advice Decision Time

GG - what is the issue with the pinion bearing? just the 'weak link' or is the design such it isn't well-lubricated or ?????

I'm not versed enough to say.

I've seen more failures on EZ engines than H4's and for the 90's more EJ25's than EJ22's - too small of a sample size for me to make anything of it, but if they're more common on the larger engines it might suggest they're a weak link.

Although I can't prove it helps, I would elevate front diff oil change importance, seems to get little air play for the risk-reward ratio. 

They can be repaired: 

bearings can be $100 a pop plus seals and the labor

R&P is like $600+ just for the parts

swapping in a used front diff

It's a tough decision sometimes, but most people opt for a used trans over the complexity of the backlash and bearing pre load complexity as well as the labor costs. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A belated update, I tried to nurse it along with some fancy fluid but wound up having the transmission rebuilt.  It was expensive, but a whole lot less than a new car, and less than the retail rebuilt units.  The guy who did it was wonderful and has a 2 year warranty on the work so I have some peace of mind that I wouldn't have had if I had opted to swap out a mystery used transmission.    Now I just have all the regular things wrong with my car instead of extraordinarily bad things...

Thanks everyone for helping!  :drunk:

Any word on the result, garbo? I may be running into a transmission repair/replace decision as well on my 05 Baja. I have the same whine under load above 3500rpm that goes away when the gas is let off. 

Just posted follow up; tried the fluid change but things got worse and I wound up having the transmission rebuilt.  Local guy who specializes, charged me about $2700 but it has a 2 year warranty.  Running great, now I just have a bad case of squeaky struts...

Interesting read.  I had a bad 4EAT transmission a couple of years ago and I struggled with the rebuild/replace decision.  I opted for a used transmission and had a local shop swap it out.  For me it was the best choice at the time.  Now that my son works at a Subaru dealer I would have him install a used transmission!

i have added lucas into my rear diff trying to get rid of a whine. actually it was a lucas a limited slip additive and good quality gear oil about 65% gear oil 35% lucas. at first it did not help much but as i drove it the whine did get quieter it was a loud whine originally and the mixture of fluids had quieted it by more than half of what it was. not sure if it would help at this point but maby someone els will see this and get use from it.

• 2 years later...

I came across this old thread after googling pretty heavy the past three says. I have this same exact problem going on. I’ve already drained my diff and there is a bit of metal in the oil. The rag I was using to clean up looked like it was dusted with glitter. I’m going to replace the trans when I can find one for $1-200 and replace myself. I’ve located one from a reputable guy two hours away but I just can’t justify putting that much into this thing ($500)at 270k miles. 

I just started getting the whining noise recently. Although I do have a UEL header and a manga flow exhaust in my Legacy wagon so it may have been making noise earlier but I couldn’t hear from the rumble. 

Im curious if anyone has the part number for the this bearing? I’m thinking of maybe just trying that first and if it goes south then go to plan B and go pull a trans at pick in pull that’s only a couple blocks from me. 

Also how long did you make it before you ended up not being able to drive any longer?

I realize this is a pretty old thread but after days of googling this has by far been the MOST detailed post about this topic I have yet came across. 

Thanks!

On 12/30/2019 at 3:29 AM, DadWagon said:

I came across this old thread after googling pretty heavy the past three says. I have this same exact problem going on. I’ve already drained my diff and there is a bit of metal in the oil. The rag I was using to clean up looked like it was dusted with glitter. I’m going to replace the trans when I can find one for $1-200 and replace myself. I’ve located one from a reputable guy two hours away but I just can’t justify putting that much into this thing ($500)at 270k miles. 

I just started getting the whining noise recently. Although I do have a UEL header and a manga flow exhaust in my Legacy wagon so it may have been making noise earlier but I couldn’t hear from the rumble. 

Im curious if anyone has the part number for the this bearing? I’m thinking of maybe just trying that first and if it goes south then go to plan B and go pull a trans at pick in pull that’s only a couple blocks from me. 

Also how long did you make it before you ended up not being able to drive any longer?

I realize this is a pretty old thread but after days of googling this has by far been the MOST detailed post about this topic I have yet came across. 

Thanks!

I drove on mine until it was absurdly loud. I had a 50 mile commute then so called it due for swapping in a used trans.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:29 AM, DadWagon said:

Thanks!

The one bearing is $100 new from Subaru.

obviously there are many variables: engine size, use, temps, mountains, weight of vehicle, driving style, and what precisely is failing...

I drove one on purpose to its grave.  I forget exactly, though I bet I’ve said before on this forum. but I think mine went 10-15k whining before it got louder and started shifting and driving erratic. That lasted a couple weeks before it completely destructed (in my driveway hip hip hooray).

If the noise is getting notably louder or it starts incurring symptoms -  I’d consider that a sign of imminent problems.