Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 stud conversion on brumby/brat retaining front hand brake

Hi all,

Thinking of doing a 5 stud swap

Have the rear figured out (have xt6 hubs and complete WRX hubs?brakes)

But what i want to know is can i use xt6 front calipers/rotors on GC8 knuckles so i can retain the front wheel hand brake?

Or is there any other combos that i can use to retain the front wheel hand brake?

Thanks in advance, sorry the search function doesn't work for me for some reason?

Many years ago, baccaruda was able to bolt XT6 calipers to an EJ caliper bracket, but he wasn't sure exactly which one.....

So yea, there should be a combination, but it's not been documented. If you figure it out, please follow-up with the info!

that would be an awesome option for XT6 folks converting hubs/axles to EJ without messing with all the ebrake issues.

wonder if someone long ago just go confused and thought XT6 hubs and caliper bracket were EJ...but they weren't!?  

really early 1990's legacy calipers have a different part number (1990 being split by manufacture date).   i'm not sure if that's just a superficial upgrade and they're interchangeable with later stuff anyway or a substantial difference, the part number is no longer available to buy and i'm not sure how to check. 

i think it's :  subaru 26220AA141

141666-FRO_zpsdhxqssmy.jpg

This is the file photo for the caliper bracket for the turbo legacy. I don't know that I'll measure the bracket when I get home today because of the snow/cold. Depends on what the wind is doing then.

The slide pin looks to be swappable between holes, which would explain why they list them for either side on the legacy.

I'm really hoping this turns out to work, I'd love to convert my other ea81 car to 5 lug just for the tire choices, and front ebrake would make for less custom work.

those bolt holes look really far apart, hard to tell by the picture but i wouldn't expect the caliper holes to nearly line up with the bracket through holes if they worked with XT6 calipers. 

i'm working on another option i should know something by the end of the week. 

a mate of mine has mentioned something about using XT6 calipers on the Gen 1 turbo caliper bracket also (Liberty RS turbo in Aus).

Is it possible to ask for the pic above to be in proper measurments (ie metric)? :P

to the OP, have you seen the rear calipers on an XF Falcon? Pretty sure they were before the internal drum type handbrake & had a vented rotor. Might be easier to source that & make up an adaptor bracket?

That 200SX thing is for the rear brakes, not the front.

I've got Honda Prelude calipers in the Loyale rear disc carrier. But I've got rear discs.

tractor pole's post in that thread seems more likely using early Impreza caliper brackets.

The post by tractor pole in that thread is the one I was referencing for the ea82 front calipers. Either way my xt6 calipers will be delivered this weekend, so I'll have a definitive answer for that part of the equation hopefully Sunday, weather permitting.

• Like 1

If you'll look at the measurements taken by Gary and myself above you'll see the mount locations for the caliper to the bracket is the same distance on my turbo legacy parts car and his daily xt6. It will either be proven correct or false soon enough though.

Oh happy days: I installed XT6 / EA82 calipers on EJ brackets:

1. 1993 FWD Impreza front caliper brackets.

2. Swap the XT6 pin and caliper onto the EJ bracket

So now we can easily run EJ knuckles and axles and retain XT6 and EA82 calipers with front Ebrake.

Edited by grossgary