Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 vs. Legacy steering knuckles?

Pooparu

What's the difference between the XT6 steering knuckles and the early Legacy steering knuckles?

I went to bolt up some '02 WRX brakes on my XT6 knuckles and the holes do not match up. The WRX ones are too far apart. So can I just bolt up some Legacy steering knuckles instead?

Right, you tried to install the caliper brackets? The holes I believe are further apart. I know folks have upgraded their brakes over on the XT6 forum....hmmm...not sure if you can do it without upgrading to EJ hubs or not.

You can swap to EJ hubs but I believe you'll need EJ axles as well. Which is actually a bonus and what I'll do should I ever need new axles or front bearings on my XT6 - since EJ stuff is much easier to come by.

yep, brake mount tabs are different. hubs, bearings, and outer bearing seals are the same, but the inner seal is different. so in order to mix and match an ER axle with an EJ hub, you'll need a different seal (I hope to actually buy one of those needed seals before long, and do some test-fitting and a write-up).

They're the way to go anyway, EJ stuff is so easy to come by and lots of options. The newer EJ boots are nice too, they have more convolutions in the boots, seems like a more robust design.

Not sure why but suberdave said his EJ axles are a bit too long making them on the tight end fitment wise. So he's actually looking fro XT6 shafts to build a frankenaxle - XT6 shaft (a bit shorter) with EJ joints. Not sure if his is different or what but apparently he had some problem, been talking to him about it on the subaruxt.com forum and here too.

I've been building my front end for a while now. I've got EA81 control arms with polyurethane bushings, EA81 power steering cross member with a matching power steering rack, (now) EJ steering knuckles with '02 WRX calipers, WRX struts/springs & crossdrilled/slotted rotors. Everything is new (tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joint, wheel bearings, brake pads & rubber steering coupler). I've also stripped and repainted everything with hammer paint.

Lots of work, but I hope it will be worth it in the end.

Sounds really great pooparu. Where did you come up with some good poly bushings?

They were for a VW GTI. I just had to cut a bit off of the outside lip and get some bigger bolts, but I'm hoping it's worth it. I'll through some photos up once I've got my EJ knuckle installed.

the reason the EJ impreza axles are to long for me, is i have a 6 Speed in my wagon now. the 6 speed is a bit wider than the 5 speed.
ah ha, that's why you're just now bringing this up, gotcha.

in that case Dave, might you be able to use the 6 speed axles? I always use 2001+ axles in all my older vehicles, just knock the outer tone ring off the end and it's identical to the earlier EJ axles. on later models the tone ring just comes pressed onto the end of the axle, but otherwise they're the same, so just cut it off or knock it off, it's really easy.

ah ha, that's why you're just now bringing this up, gotcha.

in that case Dave, might you be able to use the 6 speed axles? I always use 2001+ axles in all my older vehicles, just knock the outer tone ring off the end and it's identical to the earlier EJ axles. on later models the tone ring just comes pressed onto the end of the axle, but otherwise they're the same, so just cut it off or knock it off, it's really easy.

STis and WRX sedans have a wider track than wagons and older subies. 6MT axles are actually longer.

oh neat chux, do you know where that difference occurs? is it the control arms themselves up front? the body isn't different right?

fenders are flared out more. it's fairly common to swap sedan fenders/bumper onto a wagon for the flares. control arms are longer, and the tabs on the strut that bolt onto the knuckle are longer.

rear lateral links and struts are different as well.

sedan:

STI%20Scoop.jpg

wagon:

JF1GG29694H803481.JPG

Edited by Numbchux

could you build control arms that were slightly longer and use your present axles? I built my control arms for my GL. I took a gl control arm, a legacy turbo control arm. Cut and welded them together to get the same width as a legacy on my GL. My axles fit perfectly and so do my legacy knuckles and brakes.

• 5 months later...

One more question on this , I hear baccaruda founda a caliper bracket that lets you mount the L Series or XT6 caliper on the Legacy knuckle so you can keep the hand brake up front AND have 5 stud hubs .

There was some mention of a "Legacy SS" that had the necessary caliper bracket to fit the L/XT6 E brake caliper bridge/floating section .

I don't think we had that model in Australia though we did get a Liberty RS Turbo but it had larger diameter discs than non turbo ones - and XT6 I imagine .

So , which is the right caliper bracket to get my L Series floater onto std Liberty/Legacy knuckles ?

Thanks in advance , cheers Adrian .

Also what is the difference in hole centers Legacy to XT6/L Series ?

^that is not really anything new

the question is, is there a caliper BRACKET that will bolt to an EJ knuckle, but allow an XT6 caliper.

a legacy SS is the 2.2 turbo version. got the 276mm rotors and twin piston calipers. probably the same that the Liberty RSs got over there.

Yesss more pieces of the puzzle .

Thats right we got the Liberty RS Turbo with the early low compression EJ20 with the VF12 Turbocharger . Our NA version had an EJ22 but not the turbo ones .

They (Lib RS) had twin piston calipers with I think 276mm rotors .

I think there's two versions of that caliper because one has a steel/iron floating section and the other has an aluminium one possibly from a different supplier .

I have the all steel ones and I found L Series calipers slide pins/bolts don't fit up - right hole size but wrong thread pitch .

My best guess is that the other twin piston calipers have the same thread pitch as the L/XT6 pins/bolts and go straight together .

I reckon an L/XT6 caliper on 276mm rotors would pull an RX Turbo sedan up pretty smartly , particularly with XT6 rear brakes .

Anyone have the facts on the alloy twin piston floaters bracket threads ?

Baccaruda found some combination that all bolted together and I can't think of many other possibilities .

Cheers , Adrian in Oz .