Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Subaru Loyale EA82 Engine

Start car runs 5 min then stops.Start again idles at 1000 rpm stops again.After warm up seems to get better.No problem in warmer weather. Also anything electrical turned on engine will hesitate. Turn signal on ,engine will bump each time.Flashers on rpm increase at times.At times car will just stop running but starts right up again and continue on.Drive car 5 mi.in warm weather runs fine.

Been going several years.Mecanic cleaned all vacuum lines flushed complete fuel system.Replaced ERG valve two years ago.Battery is 1 year old car has original alternator 240k miles.Wife drove car to work today it never missed a beat.At start up didn't stop running.I did pump gas a few before starting which I never do.Just trying every little thing.Car ran good maybe 5 yr ago.It has always had the best of care.Havent done it lately but could washing engine have caused a problem?It always starts afterwards.(baffling)

The alternator Lasting that long is a fluke. Every one of several I have had wore out a brush around 150k miles. I also have seen regulator and diode failures.

Pumping the pedal before cranking doesn't do anything as there is no accelator pump in a throttle body.

Yea, I replied to another thread about the Loyale alternators.   They are NOTORIOUS for blowing the high-speed diode and causing overcharging, which leads to the burn-out of several different electrical components and circuits.  They are not user-friendly and after I pulled several from a wrecking yard, I immediately had them tested at an auto supply store.  They all passed their test UNTIL they were installed on the car.  ALL with the same problem.  Unless you can find a non-original replacement AT the wrecking yard, go to Shucks/O'Riley for a lifetime alternator.  I did and never turned back.