Ultimate Subaru Message Board

deosn't have one.

Subaru didn't start obd-ii until 96.

You need to find the pair of black connectors under the dash and plug those toghether, and then either the CEL or a LED in the ECU will flash codes in 10's and 1's  (3 long pulse, 2 short = code 32) 

yes...codes should be stored w/the KEY ON, Engine OFF, plug in the connectors and watch for the CEL light to blink the codes. ECU is probably under pass. footwell.

'95 w/the 4EAT (Auto) and EJ22 had OBD2 on Impreza and Legacy; not on the EJ18 in the Impreza. Not sure about the EJ22 and 5-speed on the Legacy....AFAIK.

deosn't have one.

Subaru didn't start obd-ii until 96.

You need to find the pair of black connectors under the dash and plug those toghether, and then either the CEL or a LED in the ECU will flash codes in 10's and 1's  (3 long pulse, 2 short = code 32) 

I didn’t find black connectors. I found green ones. Also one yellow one that doesn’t have a mate. No blinking ABS light. But the radiator fan turns on and off. Could the green ones be the correct plugs?

Green for diagnostics - cycles the fans and sensors on/off. Look it up in the FSM/factory service manual: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

If you do NOT have the OBD2 connector, I'm 99% sure those black connectors are there - taped/tucked to another harness most likely.

:

The yellow connector is the Subaru SSM for Subaru Tech/Mechs to use. You could build a cable and buy/download software (not Subaru-specific) and read info, but it's not the most user-friendly option.

Edited by wtdash

yes...codes should be stored w/the KEY ON, Engine OFF, plug in the connectors and watch for the CEL light to blink the codes. ECU is probably under pass. footwell.

'95 w/the 4EAT (Auto) and EJ22 had OBD2 on Impreza and Legacy; not on the EJ18 in the Impreza. Not sure about the EJ22 and 5-speed on the Legacy....AFAIK.

My 95 legacy MT has it

My 95 legacy MT has it

Cool.....that'd mean to me that all the 1995+ 2.2's were OBD2 (you can't get an '95 Impreza w/a 2.2 and 5-speed).

Per Cars101.com: 

As did all 1995 Imprezas...... came with either the 1.8L engine and manual trans, or the  2.2L engine and automatic transmission.
Manual transmission available with 1.8L engines. The only 1.8L with auto. trans was on the base Impreza model

Automatic transmission available only with the 2.2 L engines. There were no 2.2L with manual. trans.

Edited by wtdash

The Check Engine Light has been off most of the time and didn’t come on today. I got some carburetor cleaner and cleaned the EGR up this evening. Hopefully that will extend its life for a while. I might as well preemptively clean the EGR on our 98 Forester now.