Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Eeee Brake 98 Legacy Outback

Hey!

I gotta do something with this ebrake......  Think it's holding but it is not!

found the vehicle moved a couple of times.....

Had the vehicle a several months...   Initially, the E brake seemed ok......  not great but ok.....

Now,  It pulls up to the top pretty much........  vehicle has about 170K on it......

SOOOOO,,,,,,,,,     Can I just adjust this pup?  and where it is the adjustment.....???

Do these  EE brake shoes ever need to be replaced  ( I guess if someone is leaving the brake on all the time)

Is there a cable adjustment.............    is there a  conventional drum type adjustment   or is there both?

Thanks, Micky

pull oval plugs and adjust both 'star' wheels UP (both sides.

what I do is put car is chock wheels, put car in N, pull p-brake handle to first notch, get rear up on jackstands. Adjust star wheel until I juuuust can't one-arm turn the wheel anymore. Do the other side the same way.

that seems to lock the wheels pretty good with half-dozen clicks or so.

if it doesn't work well-enough, you can try again....try the adjustment under the console....or maybe somethings wrong?

ok, So there are two places to make adjustments..

AND   the shoes can wear....... and do wear over time....

and the cables can  stretch out...........

I will see if I can pull the cables forward at the console to see how much play there is....( do you think this is possible???)

Then I will remove the play out of the cables and then adjust the star wheels upward.... Using  1Ltxn's procedure....