Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reviving an old friend

Ok, im starting back at chapter 2. Im trying to convert my 1980 2 dr front wheel drive coupe DL. When the block cracked, I decided to convert the system from an EA71 to an Ea81. Chapter 1 found the  Ea81 engine, should run great. First half of chapter 2 shipped a four wheel drive tranny from oslo Norway, to Long Beach, California, USA., that I cant use and am looking to get rid of. So Im back online again looking for an EA81 Front Wheel drive to convert to. Anyone that can help, be on the lookout as the car and the owner are anxious to get rolling. Lgbmarco@aol.com

Geez , I’m sorry to ask but I’m pretty sure there’s going to be a line of folks wanting to know.

Why did you need a tranny from half way around the world ?

Best of luck with it. Personally , I’m thinking you’re doing the right thing sticking with FWD.

Enjoy !

Maybe he was traveling and stumbled upon a trans in Norway, and dude let him have it for freeee! Or really cheap :-)

I would love to have a story like that, but yes those transmissions are not too difficult to find in the states

A personal goal of mine is to take my Subaru or chevy van overseas, $4,000 for the ferry, but driving something with CO plates in europe or asia would be sweet! I once saw an old holden with plates from australia here.

I am always looking on CL for old subes, and I have very rarely seen the 2wds for sale.

But you will find what you are looking for, I just seen one in new mexico, but it looks like she has sold  because the ad was old and is not up anymore

Edited by sparkyboy

I have one .. 84 GL wagon FWD . ea81 hydro lifters and I have another ea81 with solid lifters. I have all the parts for both engines as well. I'm in southern Oregon btw. Little bit closer than norway by my calculations lol

You have an EA81 tranny that you will part with?  ok excuse my uneducated response, both to the computer world and the mechanical subaru side as Im an old school guy just working in too many different directions.  But im working on it.  So if im getting this straight, a tranny has different types of lifters? and if either of these will work, which one is better suited for my pepped up motor thats waiting to be paired with.  But to answer the other question, Oslo Lars was the only one who responded to my search and he was kind enough to part it out.  Its too bad it didnt work. So, I hadnt been back to this sight in a while, but had posted on the other subaru boards.  (old school subaru, classic subaru, and the ultimate board all off of facebook.)   so again, contact me in email if you have something i can use.   Lgbmarco@aol.com...thx

Maybe he was traveling and stumbled upon a trans in Norway, and dude let him have it for freeee! Or really cheap :-)

I would love to have a story like that, but yes those transmissions are not too difficult to find in the states

A personal goal of mine is to take my Subaru or chevy van overseas, $4,000 for the ferry, but driving something with CO plates in europe or asia would be sweet! I once saw an old holden with plates from australia here.

I am always looking on CL for old subes, and I have very rarely seen the 2wds for sale.

But you will find what you are looking for, I just seen one in new mexico, but it looks like she has sold  because the ad was old and is not up anymore

Simpler story, Oslo Lars was the only one who responded through facebook.  It cost me about $600 to ship here with my Fedex discount only to find it was the wrong one.  Live and learn.  but it hasnt been that easy to find yet in the states.  Im now going to turn up the heat and start searching more junk yards but thought i would give more attention to the experts here in the different subie boards and networks.  Lgbmarco@aol.com if you have any other suggestions for my search..thx 

Or please ask and don’t be afraid to bump your post up to the top again should you get no replies.

One or two times doing that and for sure one of us catches on and at least keeps you company.

Sorry , my 80’s parts are no longer with me. Good luck with it.

Let me help a little bit on this. I sold Mark (lgbmarco) the EA81 with weber 32/36 and MSD 6AL ignition as well as a redline fuel pump that came out of my brat when I did the EJ22 conversion.

In short, Mark's 1980 Coupe is sweet. Its a "California Edition" which I have never heard of; maybe it was a dealer option? IIRC it has rear window louvers, very unique wheels, and a sweet decklid luggage rack on the back. More importantly is that he kept it covered and being in SoCal it has 0 rust!Its in very good shape. He is an old school, super cool hotrodder, not a vintage Subaru guy.

He got a huge run around getting the EA-71 engine rebuilt it came with, and I think it was on the "old school FB group" he came across my engine FS. Other members assured him he could convert his EA71 to EA81 IF he acquired the correct transmission. Mark has been trying to find a EA81 FWD transmission and flywheel for about a year now....maybe more. The guy in Norway he bought the transmission from sold him a 4spd DR EA81 transmission, NOT a front wheel drive.

What Mark needs is a EA81 FWD transmission, starter, and flywheel. So if you have those things, please reach out to him or me and lets get one more Suby on the road.

Additionally, I have never done this conversion (and will help him), so if anyone has any insight on it, please drop a line. Thanks.

-Jason

Edited by iluvdrt
  • Like 1