Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1985 Turbo Brat Turbocharger upgrades?

turbo upgrade EA81

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cactvs

cactvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Steamboat Springs CO

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

I recently acquired a 1985 Turbo Brat 4-speed. Most think its a unicorn but its real! Anyone know of a slightly larger turbo set-up I can use on this EA81 injected motor.? Maybe an intercooler too? Looking to freshen up a decent-running little truck.

#2 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Bendigo, Vic, Aust.

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

I'd go with an intercooler, a water to air unit is subtle and doesn't require a hole in the bonnet for air to pass through the intercooler.

With such a rare Subaru, I wouldn't be pushing that engine too hard for performance. We didn't get any turbo MY's over here so you're pretty lucky!

Look after it, keep it running sweet as I believe it'll only appreciate if kept in the right condition ;)

Most of all, enjoy a very unique subaru!

Cheers

Bennie

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 22,068 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:30 AM

The turbo model was made in 83 and 84. If its an 85 body it was swapped. They DID NOT make EA81 turbos in 85. Got that?

Dont modify it. Parts are virtually impossible to find. If you kill it, that will be the end of it. Love it for what it is.

GD

#4 carfreak85

carfreak85

Temple of Fuji

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
  • Cascadia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

There are no bolt on parts for engine performance on this car, everything will be custom or modified.  As GD said above, if you break it, there are very few parts you can substitute.  That being said, I have modified my turbo wagon.

Also, pics of your BRAT, please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users