Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Problem with Legacy Battery Life

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tricia54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Boonton NJ

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

Don’t know if this is just me, but I purchased a 2017 Subaru Legacy in Aug. 2016. I don’t drive it much, maybe 1 – 2 short trips a
week with longer trips around the holidays.  In the last 7 days I had to call Subaru Roadside assistance twice to have it jumpstarted.  Took it to the dealer and they politely told me that it wasn’t the battery, it was me, I wasn’t starting it enough.  Never saw that in the manual!

I insisted they test the battery and it did fail the 2nd test, so they replaced it (with the exact same model of battery). 

I’ve owned cars for over 40 years, my driving pattern hasn’t changed, I traded in a 3 year old Toyota to purchase the Subaru, never needed a jump on that one.  So, is it me or is Subaru using cheap rump roast batteries? 

#2 coryl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Ontario

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

You didn't mention what Toyota you traded in, but I'm guessing that it probably didn't have all the power-hungry luxury auxiliary options that the new Forester might have that will drain a battery. Most new cars often normally don't come with other than a smaller battery that is just enough to get the car started and to run a few extras...so, you are definitely not driving this vehicle enough and are therefore draining the battery too often and never allowing it to charge fully, all of which will destroy a battery in short time. Gel/AGM batteries also do not tolerate being boosted often before seeing some damage, and I call them the 2 boost batteries. If you drive as you say, you will need to keep your car on a battery charger when not in use to bring it up to full charge, which is crucial for battery life, or be forever replacing batteries...I also used to lose batteries frequently from infrequent driving, but no problems now for 6 years since using a smart charger. You could also purchase a better battery, but that would be at your own expense and they're not cheap.

#3 Tricia54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • Boonton NJ

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the information, I guess I figured that when you spend +30,000 on a car they would put a battery in it that was capable of holding a charge.  Just another thing to remember when I get the next car.  The funny thing is that I did not want all the bells and whistles, but wanted a car that was on the lot and had heated seats.  Got to set my expectations lower in the future.  I'm sure this new battery will die within the next 18 - 24 months (within warranty) and then I will insist they put a better battery in (at their expense)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users