Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber issue (SOLVED!) and the solution for swapping between snorkel and other...

okay. '82 Brat. weber 32/36 at about 4000 RPMs, if I'm on the gas hard, it will start to sputter and choke. if I back off the gas, it's okay.

I had a fuel return line hooked up, but I removed it, and made it better, but still not perfect.

top speed is 60 on Speedo (about 70 true speed) in 4th or 5th gear. (27" mud tires)

fuel pump is a 2.5 - 4 psi

suppose it's time for a rebuild?

On the gas hard would mean the secondary barrel is at least somewhat open I should think.... maybe a partially clogged secondary jet? Have to pull the top off the carb to get to it, but that's way easier than on a Hitachi. Hehe. The design of the Weber's float bowl really helps prevent getting junk in the jets, but if it did get in there, the design also prevents it from getting out easily.

Try looking in the carb down at the secondary jet while reving it - see if the spray pattern from that jet looks funny. That would indicate a partially clogged jet or emulsion tube....

Your top speed aint right - My wagon gets up to about 72 or 73 on the speedo before she's topped out, and that's with 28's....

GD

• 2 weeks later...

SOLVED!!!!

I have been talking with a couple different people about this to no avail.

my carb had 155 mains so I changed them out for 140s, and no change...

I was talking to qman and he mentioned having some trouble that ended up being caused by too much turbulence in the air intake, that the carb wasn't able to pull the air in effectively... this triggered a thought in my brain, that this all started with not only a new fuel pump/regulator system, but I changed the air box mounting plate on the carb from holding the normal rectangular weber filter to this:

PDC_0078.jpg

my "snorkel". so tonight I took it off and ran with an open top carb, and she just screamed :) Problem Solved....

well, at least when I get a plate/filter on there for street use....

I realize the placement of the snorkel/filter isn't good, but it was a quick placement to get it high enough out of waters way....

P.S. Maybe it was that damn Ford part I had in there :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, good of you to post this. I was thinking of changing to a cone type K&N filter from the low profile weber air filter since I think there's a bit of air flow restriction if I'm not using the full height filter. I guess I might go with the chrome round one that you selected. I wonder if K&N makes filters for it?

Hmmmm.... I'd better go test out my top-end performance since I just swapped out the standard weber air cleaner for a custom-made snorkel a lot like the one you had on there. Mine uses a larger chamber above the carb though, so turbulence may not be an issue.

I'll report my findings.