Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cooling ?

Just put a new radiator in my 88 wagon and now the fan don't fit. I was warned this mite happen with the two row radiator but wanted to try. Are there any options for clutch mounted fans or does this have to go. thanks

Havent had a clutch fan in years. One electric fan should be enough to keep you cool *IF* the rest of your cooling system is upto par. We rarely see over 105 degree heat here (couple days out of the summer) so I cant vouch for much over that with only one fan. Dual electrics isnt that much more work :)

Oh just had another thought. How about the clutch fan from a turbo model that came with 2 row radiators? If you really want a clutch fan (they really are better :) ) then you could try that.

Peace

I found an interesting factoid when rebuilding my 86 turbo wagon,

I had a water pump left over from a botched resurection, of an 87 spfi wagon with AC that I would attempt to use on my turbo wagon.

I soon found out that the spfi wagon's water pump was the same in every respect except for the length of the shaft. When i put the 8 bolt pully on from the turbo the belts didn't line up, it stuck out to far. So I had to use the spfi pully which only has 4 studs. those 4 studs hold the whole assembly together. and took up less space between the rad and pump.

I am not sure if this helps or not, but if you have a non turbo car I believe that your water pump forces everything more towards the Rad. Everything works fine witht the standard Rad but with the bigger rad it masses everything up.

Also my bother converted his 87 turbo wagon to the 2 row with only slight modification to the rad top mount and bottom mount. So there must be something with turbo or xt fans as "86subaru" stated.

Sorry for the long post and the ramblings Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about finding another clutch fan, and just go with another electric one. May not be much, but the clutch fan eats horsepower, so eliminating it frees up a couple ponies atleast.

My '82 had the clutch fan on it also. Didn't like the fact that it set 1/4" from the radiator, so I removed it. Have the electric fan for the AC system in there, just removed the control relay for it, and put it like a non-ACed Soob would be. No over heat problems on mine. But you may want to get a low-profile electric one and mount it where the clutch fan was, seeing as you're in Florida. Find a key "on" hot wire to power fan thru a switch and relay set-up.

I wouldn't worry about finding another clutch fan, and just go with another electric one. May not be much, but the clutch fan eats horsepower, so eliminating it frees up a couple ponies atleast.

My '82 had the clutch fan on it also. Didn't like the fact that it set 1/4" from the radiator, so I removed it. Have the electric fan for the AC system in there, just removed the control relay for it, and put it like a non-ACed Soob would be. No over heat problems on mine. But you may want to get a low-profile electric one and mount it where the clutch fan was, seeing as you're in Florida. Find a key "on" hot wire to power fan thru a switch and relay set-up.

Yeah you really should be able to keep thise little buggers cool with 2 electric fans. If not then I would think there is a problem with the cooling system that needed attention. Only time I needed a clutch fan was when 2 BIG electrics wouldnt kee pa 3 row radiator cool enough for my 472ci. Clutch fan kept her nice and cool; but this was a BIG fan with large metal blades.