Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brats, interesting

Ohkay, so I was paying my insurence online today, and it went to the page where it lists my vahicles that are on the policy. I noticed somthing rather interesting. My 83 Brat is listed as a "Pickup", where as my 82 is listed as a "Utility" and of course my 80 is listed as a passenger vehicle, no actual designation. Just an interesting point to, uh, point out. This is through progressive, does anyone else see this with their insurence. Would also like to know, for those others with progressive, what your Soobs are listed as.

I had one listed as a truck and one as a car. Depends what years because of the seats in the back was my understanding. It sucks because I was paying 36 dollars for registration on my old grey one then when I got this red one it was 56? dollars because it is listed as a truck. It goes by Vin number. I tried to tell them I had another 86 that was listed as a passenger vehicle (car) that costs 36 and I didn't understand why I had to pay 56? for this one. They looked it up by Vin # through the states website or something. Just another way for them to to make money................

No real differences in Insurance costs here for the 3 BRATs, other than a couple bucks for the difference in the years.

Now the real problem was getting the out-State Titles, for the '82 and '84, swapped over to a Michigan Title, 'specially on the '82. Had the Title for the '86 with me, but Lady said "the year difference would make a difference on how they where classified". HUH?!!??!! Said they're both BRATS, a small pick-up truck, why would that make a difference due to years. Anyways, 45 minutes later, (to do 5 minutes work), I finally get the Title swapped over. Guess what, it's classified the same way as the '86 was, as a truck. Total waste of time.

Simular story on the '84, but didn't take as long to convince the Lady, (different one), that it is a Subaru Truck.

Now it won't matter anymore as to classification. If you use the truck for pleasure use, you get car plates. Use it for on the job, you get truck plates.

When I was registering my 82 Brat, the lady was about to list my car as a truck, so I explained to her that it is a passenger vehicle, then she called the maneger and asked whether she should change it or not. She told me that listing the car as a truck is cheaper than listing as passenger vehicle. So I have truck license plate on my Brat:lol: I always thought passenger vehicle was cheaper in registration. It is true in someway though, only small pickups are cheaper than passenger and rest of the trucks' registration is more expensive.

Just last week I went to renew registration for the Brat and the Forester (Both tabs were due on the same exact day... what are the chances of that??) Oddly enough the Forester was 36$ to renew... and somehow the Brat escaped the "30$ License Tab" thing and went for 28$ (and that was AFTER fees). It is on my registration as a truck (and I can see why- no original seats in the back) but on my insurance, it is a *Sport* Truck and it costs about 3$ less per month for liability only than my Forester does for Full coverage. WTF?!! I figure its due to safety features and such.. but come on now....