Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

High RPM's

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 verkaylak

verkaylak

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • pottsville

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:08 PM

Hello.

I just acquired a 92 loyale SW. It has the 1800 engine with a 3 spd auto trans and AWD. When I go 55 mph the tach reads 3500 and when I go 65 the tach reads 4000 rpm. This seems to high to me. The 13" tires are correct. The trans. is shifting right. When I shift the trans. manually the trans shifts to the next gear. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Verkaylak

#2 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:11 PM

Seems to me that's about right for AT models. Remember a thread a while back with a guy asking the same question. Any AT owners confirm/refute this?

#3 Alex C

Alex C

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Ashland

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:26 PM

yea, sounds good to me, I have an 82 with an ea81 and a 3spd AT, 65mph is about 3850 rpm, and 75mph is 4500rpm.

My folks new rav-4 with the overdrive off in drive turns 3700 at 70 mph.

As long as you keep it cool and lubed it will be fine.

Many homebuilders use the ea81/82 because they can gear it down and run it at 5000rpm forever, which keeps them at their peak horsepower.

Alex

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,494 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:30 PM

soobs have a short throw crank, some (dont quote me exactly) a 63mm stroke and a 92mm bore. leverage in action.

the subaru motor is happiest around 3500 rpms, its the easiest load for the motor, it may seem a high rpm, but the motor makes less effort to cruise at a higher rpm than a lower rpm.

otherwise the motor would be lugging it too much to pull an automatic. but a subaru motor really shines with a 5spd, where it can make the best of its power curve.

#5 verkaylak

verkaylak

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • pottsville

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:56 PM

Hello. I just acquired a 92 loyale SW 1800 engine with a 3 spd auto trans. When I an going 55 mph my tach shows 3500 rpm, and when I am going 65 my tach shows 4000 rpm. This seems high to me. I have the correct 13" tires. Any suggestions would help.

Verkaylak

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:24 PM

Doesnt sound too unresonable to me. Road around with a kid in an EA82 GL sedan with a 3AT. Seemed to do about the same. Also seemed like a really really crappy transmission :( It worked fine but it was loud, overworked, and extra slow. You only have 3 'gears' so its going to wind that last one up till you redline :)

Peace

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:30 PM

Your answer is here

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=18472

#8 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:22 PM

SUBARU engines LIVE in high RPMS. The EA82 especially was deisgned for high RPMs.

I had a DL that I ran over 5500+ RPMs for 30 miles stright on the I-state...about 95-100 MPH with the 3AT....was very happy. On every other day of the week, id only ride it to 85-90...about 5k RPMs. Never had an issue.

#9 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:23 PM

SUBARU engines LIVE in high RPMS. The EA82 especially was deisgned for high RPMs.

I had a DL that I ran over 5500+ RPMs for 30 miles stright on the I-state...about 95-100 MPH with the 3AT....was very happy. On every other day of the week, id only ride it to 85-90...about 5k RPMs. Never had an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users