Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

High Oil Pressure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 subaru420

subaru420

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:51 PM

When I'm driving, mostly on the freeway doing 65-70 or so, my oil pressure guage is sky high... to the red notch at 75 PSI alot. It chills out when I idle, or slow down to in city speeds. Is this normal? Safe?

#2 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:24 PM

I wish I had your problem! Mine never seems to get high enough when its at full temp. Maybe we just have crapy sending units?

Might try a real pressure guage first and see if its really that high.

#3 exister99

exister99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:44 AM

When I'm driving, mostly on the freeway doing 65-70 or so, my oil pressure guage is sky high... to the red notch at 75 PSI alot. It chills out when I idle, or slow down to in city speeds. Is this normal? Safe?

I have the exact same problem in my '84 wagon. I drove it from Idaho to TX that way and it didn't blow up.

Have any of you had a catastrophic event as a result of maxed out oil pressure?

#4 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:57 AM

mine runs 75 psi with a add on gauge , i am running 10w-40 amsoil ,

#5 84gl

84gl

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Southwest VA

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:03 PM

my 80 1800 auto gl sedan has the same problem and its had 4 sending units put on it in the past 2 years its oil pressure at idle is 26psi and about 80psi at 3500rpm with a manual gauge so the sending unit and dash are right seeing as i didn't drive it right now its ok but when it becomes the daily driver aging it will get changed.

#6 exister99

exister99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

my 80 1800 auto gl sedan has the same problem and its had 4 sending units put on it in the past 2 years its oil pressure at idle is 26psi and about 80psi at 3500rpm with a manual gauge so the sending unit and dash are right seeing as i didn't drive it right now its ok but when it becomes the daily driver aging it will get changed.

What exactly are you going to change? Oil pump? Just the seals? Sending Unit?

I put a new sending unit it mine a few months ago and got the same readings. It seems if the oil pump seals were bad I would be getting low readings instead of high. Is this a valid assumption?

#7 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:08 PM

What exactly are you going to change? Oil pump? Just the seals? Sending Unit?

I put a new sending unit it mine a few months ago and got the same readings. It seems if the oil pump seals were bad I would be getting low readings instead of high. Is this a valid assumption?

Correct; and you might even develop a ticking in your hydro-lifters.

Higher pressure would indicate a restriction somewhere.

#8 RavenTBK

RavenTBK

Professional Auto Thief

• Members
  • 661 posts
  • Apalachicola Natl Forest

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:08 PM

Here.. check this. Its easier to copy+paste the address than to type out a reply. Whoops.. isnt that what I just did? Oh well..

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=26155

#9 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:30 PM

all ea81s i have ever had(too many) have had 75 psi at highway speeds. its not a problem, its a good thing, its what they do. =]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users