Ultimate Subaru Message Board

South-central Alaska soob meet-n-greet?

Shout-out to all you Alaskan soob-heads. Yeah, I know, there are like six of us now:lol: . We should get together sometime soon, like this upcoming labor day weekend. I was thinking maybe a camping trip someplace in the Anchorage area would be cool if anybody knows a good place that we could 'wheel out to for a night. I know of two lifted 'roos in the state besides mine, so even something kinda knarly could work out. So far, I've met two fellow board members from Alaska, and this would be a good way for all of us to meet up and have a good time. Maybe if not this weekend, sometime in the near future would work as well, but I have several days off from school and I don't know if anybody else is free from work or what-have-you.

Let me know if this would work out and we can plan a trip!

Kelly, Torxxx is coming down from Fairbanks this weekend, but I'm headed out hunting (as I will be for about the rest of the month or until a creature decides to offer itself up:lol: ). But you might be able to get Cougar and the other guy from Anchortown, invite lineofbirds from the Willow/Houston area, contact AKbrando from Kodiak, and there is a new person from the Soldotna/Sterling area also. Pardon me if I left anyone out (it's not intentional).

Good to see you back. I hear you scored a lsd from Ed, and got to ride shotgun in a rallycross. Too cool. I'll get together with you soon to hear the stories and see your new and improved version of Roxanne.

good call guys. I was just gonna start a thread about it. We need to have one. I have 2 buddies in FBKS with soobys that would prolly come down with me.

I will be in Anchorage on the 4th and 5th and maybe part of the 6th, but I'm also willing to make the 5 hour drive down when ever you guys wanna have a meet.

Kelly I gotta see your car man. When divies come out I'm finally gonna get my lift.

Any if anyone has Jon's (Battle Wagon Medic) phone number or a way to get ahold of him, pm me plz. I wanna see if he got the NOS monster runnin yet

Give my regards to the boys. If you feel adventuresome, head to Sutton and come into Buffalo mine trails from that direction (no large bodies of water to deal with and over 50 miles of trails. If you need a map, go to REI and use their TOPO! program to locate your area and print a map or two.

Sorry, I got this a little late I guess. But I've been working at the fair, painting kid's faces:) . So I guess I couldn't have made it anyway. Sad that I missed out. plus I could tell/show you LOTS of excellent hidden trails... Ever been up Petersville mine road? I'd like to go explore up there sometime. When can we try again?

Howdy, all.

I'm not really interested in the M&G, but I'm new here on the board and thought I'd say hello to some fellow Alaskans. My wife is driving a 2004 Forester, one son has a 93 Impreza AWD wagon and the other has an 88 GL 4WD wagon. I seem to end up playing mechanic on the older units. (A rusty Toyota FJ-60 is my daily driver)

Right now, front CV joint replacement is planned for the 88 GL wagon as it is making the infamous clicking noise. I'll prolly just pick up a pair of remanufactured axle shafts with the CV joints on them and do both of them this weekend. I'm not an accomplished soobe mechanic so it will more time consuming than anything else. I'll be using some tips I've found on this site to do the work.

If anyone has a tip on the best place for parts in Anchorage, by all means, message me.

Have a great day,

Ed

Welcome fellow Greatlander. Don't shy away from a M&G as there are some great people here who can give you some invaluable tips and we are all non-judgemental (at least those I've met). Snowman would have the best insight into the best place for parts - locally. AAA-1 is not the place.

ok just to be a smart rump roast... :)

is south central alaska just as bad as south central l.a??? hehe

just had to ask

i mean do you have like eskimo bloods and crips doing drive by's on snowmobiles? and such or dogsled? hmmm mush mush woof woof bang bang

lol

heh sorry tired

good luck on your get together

one more bit of idiocy.. on a "drive by" do they use bullets or just really hard snowballs?

ok i promise i'll be nice now :)

Welcome fellow Greatlander. Don't shy away from a M&G as there are some great people here who can give you some invaluable tips and we are all non-judgemental (at least those I've met). Snowman would have the best insight into the best place for parts - locally. AAA-1 is not the place.
Thanks!.....I'm not being shy, I just have no time right now. And now I have to play with the wrenches on my day off. I'm not all that fond of AAA-1. I was having difficulty tracing down a short in the electrical system on the Impreza and I figured someone who worked on them all the time might be able to troubleshoot it. They were unsuccessfull, but told me that it was prolly the combo switch and that would cost a pile of $$. I paid for the hour of diagnosis and took the car. That evening, I noticed the headlights wouldn't work. This was a problem. I took the car back there the next day, and was told that the combo switch was definitely bad. (of course, they never walked out to the car) That afternoon, I found that the main electrical connector under the steering wheel had been disconnected (surely by AAA-1's technician because they don't just fall apart). I put it back together and presto, I had lights again. Once I was able to get a complete wiring diagram for the car, I tracked down the short in an hour, fixed it and went on with life. But you will not see me taking ANYTHING to AAA-1.

And to top that, Alaska Towimg and Wrecking (ATW), the biggest boneyard in the state, closed its doors, crushed all of their cars and sent them to Japan as scrap metal. So Junkie, where (which one) is the yard in Wasilla? It can't be Knik T&W; they don't have anything even in the 80's.

Uhm... i think you take Church Road all the way to the end. I believe it T's into Fishhook Road, or something like that. Take a left at the T, and travel a few mile's. Its out that way. I believe its called Wasilla Auto Salvage or something. The guy there let me and my friend roam back there a couple times. We counted 7 brat's. All of them were too far gone to be repaired, or salvaged. He had a few EA81 wagons, sedans and hatchs. Not many EA82s or any legacy's. This was all 3-4 years ago, so alot could have changed.

I think he's listed in the Wasilla business directory, so it shouldnt be hard to locate. Search for Auto Salvage.

-Brian

Welcome, Ed.

CV's are a GREAT way to learn more about how soobs work! That was the first job I did by myself on my car.

If you need simple parts like brakes, belts, hoses, etc. I would just go to NAPA. For anything more, I would order from 1stsubaruparts.com. Call them rather than ordering online though. They've got SOA parts at better prices than NAPA usually does, and shipping isn't bad. If you need used parts, I may be able to help you out on that if you can wait a while, as I have all the parts I could possibly strip off of an 89 GL wagon sitting at my house in Haines.

Good luck!

Welcome, Ed.

CV's are a GREAT way to learn more about how soobs work! That was the first job I did by myself on my car.

If you need simple parts like brakes, belts, hoses, etc. I would just go to NAPA. For anything more, I would order from 1stsubaruparts.com. Call them rather than ordering online though. They've got SOA parts at better prices than NAPA usually does, and shipping isn't bad. If you need used parts, I may be able to help you out on that if you can wait a while, as I have all the parts I could possibly strip off of an 89 GL wagon sitting at my house in Haines.

Good luck!

Snowman, thanks for the tips. I have always been able to get the correct parts from FATS in Anchorage, but they do know how to charge. I contacted Napa, and the counter guy was so bewildered that I was going to have to remove at least one axle shaft so he could get me the correct parts. High Performance Auto fixed me up. Yeah, I might have paid about $8 more per side ($75/exchange), but I won't have to run down the hill in the middle of the job tomorrow to get the right part. Unless, I find that wheel bearings need replacement. I did the CVs in my other kid's 93 Impreza two summers ago and we found the job to be relatively simple.

the CV project was very easy.....the DOJ was 23 spline and not 25 spline as shown in the carquest book.......hence, i had time wasted on the road to get the right parts....(i wonder if it's because the MT is a 5spd and not a 4spd?).......and the prying with two screwdriver technique for pulling the axle in thru the wheel bearing works great....(i made some washers from some 1 1/2" sch 40 ABS to pry against).....i did use a puller to push the axle out of the bearing (instead of using a wood block and hammer)......so, when it's all said and done, the lesson learned is that the Haynes manual is full of crap when it says to use the special tools for this project......

• 5 months later...