Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug on gen one cars?

ok im shure this has been coverd in another post but my searching skills are poor i guess. ive read texs post on it.

anyway i have a xt6 4wd that i can pic parts from and an imp also.

i would like to put 5 bolts on a gen 1 car a 79 wagon. its got an ea81 and dr4speed but that will be changed to a fulltime 5speed with diff lock.

anyway anyone know if its a strait bolt on or has it been done before. thanks

brian

I will be able to tell you all about it in a few months. I bought a complete XT6 suspension that I will be putting under my brat.

I have yet to actually get it up in the air and see where the XT6 things will tie in to the frame. I can tell you that the XT6 stuff is Way wider. I'm guessing it will widen the track of the brat by 4 inches or so. The outer edge of the wheels (impreza offset) will be out about 2 inches from the current location. Good thing I bought those fender flares).

I will call it totally possible but I doubt anything will be "bolt on", with the exception of using the 79's mustache bar, the diff will bolt up to that.

Lots of fabrication, such as building a strut perch for the rear coilovers.

garner

• 7 months later...

Yes there have been a few crazy gen 1s that the Ozzys have done like the forest green gen 1 Brat with the STi drivetrain and suspension in it. I haven't been able to figure out how they did it though but if I had the time/money/proper tools, I could easily do it. I just like the slightly harder route though. Channeling the gen 1 Brat body I have ('78) and removing most of the extra stuff in the engine compartment like the strut towers and parts of the frame rails, and a few other things to put in a Nissan truck frame. Shortened 8" in front of the rear axle, C-notching the frame for the axle to sit up into, making my custom 4-link rear suspension, full air bag setup, chopping part of the bed out to accomidate the C-notch on the frame.... well you get the idea;)

cabaroo (dont remeber how to spell it) i think had pix of a gen one brat that lives in Ozzy land that has an STI forester motor and trany in it, he told me that he used a varity of parts..... i guess ill be doing the same(as fare as 5 bolt.) garner ill keep in touch as i work

..they probably reamed out the ea81 lower control arm balljoint seat so the xt6/legacy/impreza ball joint could fit in it..thus the steering knuckle/front strut/fivebolt hub setup could be used with an ea81 top hat or just drill the three holes for the impreza/lagacy/xt6 top hat..this part I'm not 100% sure of but if the ea81 axle shaft fits into an impreza/xt6/legacy outer cv joint a custom axle could easily be assembled...I have no idea if the loss of width between xt6 and ea81 body styles could simply be accomodated by the movement of the DOJ without the inner race bottoming out in the cup..if that was the case one could simply use xt6/legacy/impreza axles with an ej tranny or a turbo ea82 style tranny...the back hubs are the same as the ea82 fivebolt upgrade..

the ea81 is narrower than the ea82 based xt6, so the problem lies in the axles being too long. i have this idea that 3at turbo ea82 23 spline doj will fit on 25 spline axles such as xt6, legacy, impreza. i would like to discover if ea81 t axle shafts themselves will fit on the innards of the 3at turbo or 25 spline doj's, and the outer end of the xt9/leg/imp cv will fit, all on the turbo ea81 axle. this would be the key to unlocking the 5 lug ea81 setup

refer to this post:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36159