Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Return Of the Ponies!

Hello All,

After many failed attempts at patching, I finally gave up and removed the rear CAT and replaced it with a straight pipe. I didn't even realize how much power I had lost due to that damn exaust leak. And with a motor that could just as easily be rated in squirrel power as in horse power, any loss is a big deal.

Now for the next project. I ran a ohms check on the egr solenoid...42.9 so I am assuming that it is bad. At least from what I read here on the board it should be no higher than 39.0 to be a good one. I am going to the boneyards this weekend to try to find a replacement. Because the price from Subaru (110.00!) made my butthole pucker just a little bit. I also need to find a replacement for my manual transmission dipstick! Sucker broke off clean when I went to replace it the other day when I was checking my fluid:banghead: .

Speaking of which, does anyone else have a problem with the passenger side axle leaking gear oil on the front CAT? I have this wicked hot smell after driving for 20-30 miles Pretty much my daily commute.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Shaun...DaGodfada:brow:

I wouldn't say that this is a bad unit just going by the resistance reading. That is only a 10% error, which is a very resonable error when it comes to this kind of thing. I think that you are measuring the resistance of a coil of wire really and it either opens or closes a valve I think. If you had a reading of 70 ohms or 20 ohms then I would be concerned. As far as the resistance goes, I think it is ok, but there could be a mechanical problem with this unit.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have a problem with the passenger side axle leaking gear oil on the front CAT? I have this wicked hot smell after driving for 20-30 miles Pretty much my daily commute.

Like all roads lead to Rome, all oil leaks (engine, gear and CV) on the Subie seem to lead to the front cat.:-\

Gary

Shaun,

The A 1 Auto Pull is a good place to find Subies. It's down 21st at 6778 W. They have a good selection there of 84 and newer.

If you find any other good stashes let me know! I want to by a cheap whole car for parts.

Good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Hey Glenn,

I didn't even notice you were local with me! Thanks for the heads up on the boneyard! I was going to try Pick and Pull which for the last two times I have been there it should have been called Rape and Screw. Didn't even know about A1 I'll give it a try. By the way I looked at your post for "SUMMER" that is kick rump roast!:headbang: If you ever have it out and about town let me know, I would love to see that thing up close!

Shaun...DaGodfada:brow:

speaking of oil smoldering on the cat. Is that a possible fire hazard?

I have to a pretty bad oil leak b/c the previous driver put too much oil into it. I plan to replace the oil pan seals and the valve cover seals on my next oil change. anyone ever had a car catch fire b/c of oil/grease on the front cat?

BW

speaking of oil smoldering on the cat. Is that a possible fire hazard?

I have to a pretty bad oil leak b/c the previous driver put too much oil into it. I plan to replace the oil pan seals and the valve cover seals on my next oil change. anyone ever had a car catch fire b/c of oil/grease on the front cat?

BW

Dun't know of an oil related fire from a hot cat, but.... I do know of afew grass fires caused by hot cats. Puts some excitement into the party when that happens :)