Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did my first C.V. today!!!

I finished off doing my first c.v. today, finishing cause noone was home a 5:30 yesterday to pull on the hub when i was feeding the axle into the car . Instead of taking the outer d.o.j. cup off the tranny I dismantled the d.o.j. while still on the car then withdrew the axle from the car, a bit greasy but saved me buying a new pin and knocking the old one out. I changed out the c.v. and the doj with a used ntn one i had lying around. The doj that i took out of the car would jam and wouldnot move freely but the bearings are held in the cage allot tighter the the one i put back in. As i discovered as they sometimes fell out as i was puttin it in.

How do you tell a worn doj?

But the good thing now is theres no clacking on right hand turns even at lock :banana:.

I finished off doing my first c.v. today, finishing cause noone was home a 5:30 yesterday to pull on the hub when i was feeding the axle into the car . Instead of taking the outer d.o.j. cup off the tranny I dismantled the d.o.j. while still on the car then withdrew the axle from the car, a bit greasy but saved me buying a new pin and knocking the old one out. I changed out the c.v. and the doj with a used ntn one i had lying around. The doj that i took out of the car would jam and wouldnot move freely but the bearings are held in the cage allot tighter the the one i put back in. As i discovered as they sometimes fell out as i was puttin it in.

How do you tell a worn doj?

But the good thing now is theres no clacking on right hand turns even at lock :banana:.

I'm getting ready to switch out my cv, what is a d.o.j. cup? All of the cv I have ever done just pull out of the tranny and are retained by a circlip inside the tranny. Is this like yours?

... All of the cv I have ever done just pull out of the tranny and are retained by a circlip inside the tranny. Is this like yours?
All of the Subarus that I have done use a roll-pin through the axle's end cup and through the tranny/diff/rear-hub stub axle. (Don't know about Legacy/impreza or pre-EA81.) This roll-pin needs to be driven past the stub axle using a long-nosed (2.5-3 inch long) punch just under 1/4inch dia (7/16ths???).

The front outer CVs include the stub-axle which pases through the hub and its bearings, secured by axle nut.

This roll-pin needs to be driven past the stub axle using a long-nosed (2.5-3 inch long) punch just under 1/4inch dia (7/16ths???).

QUOTE]

7/32" chainsaw file or pin punch works perfect for the job. the chainsaw file makes it a little easier because its longer then a punch. (lessens the chance of hitting your hand on something while pounding it out.

This roll-pin needs to be driven past the stub axle using a long-nosed (2.5-3 inch long) punch just under 1/4inch dia (7/16ths???).

QUOTE]

7/32" chainsaw file or pin punch works perfect for the job. the chainsaw file makes it a little easier because its longer then a punch. (lessens the chance of hitting your hand on something while pounding it out.

Is this roll pin something I'm going to be able to see on the axle, or trans? I'm worried once I get this apart I won't be able to find it, I've never done a subaru before.