Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

78 brat vs 82 brat NEED QUICK RESPONCE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spinsirs

spinsirs

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • olympia

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:35 AM

the 78 im looking at has been transfored to the 1800cc dual range 4wd and the 82 has a webber carb. i think i like the style of the 78 but is their any differnce in wheel dimensions/ground clearance is one just a better vehicle? i want good off road capabilities, is the 2nd gen easier to upgrade?

#2 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:13 PM

I believe the 82 is a better vehicle to lift.

The reason I like the 82-87 is that the bed is 4 foot wide and I can fit a piece of plywood in the back. Not really a big deal if you have a full size truck, but if this is going to be your only "truck" then it something to consider.

#3 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:15 PM

the 78 im looking at has been transfored to the 1800cc dual range 4wd and the 82 has a webber carb. i think i like the style of the 78 but is their any differnce in wheel dimensions/ground clearance is one just a better vehicle? i want good off road capabilities, is the 2nd gen easier to upgrade?

the second gen has a readily available lift from http://www.ozified.com , but you can get a lift for the gen1 from mudrat79 in Eugene.

parts are probably a bit easier to find for the gen2, but since the 78 has already been converted to 1800 and D/R. it will come down to other less important things:

tilt steering wheel
roominess in cab
bed capacity
body style you prefer

I like the style of the Gen1 too, but prefer the bigger size of the Gen2...

#4 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,138 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:32 PM

How tall are you? If you are 6 ft or better, you definitely want a gen 2.

#5 lepetitprince

lepetitprince

USMB Irregular

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Madison Heights

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:36 PM

How tall are you? If you are 6 ft or better, you definitely want a gen 2.

:) I like that word choice, 6ft or better. The apartment I live here, it says "Luxury Apartment for those are 55 or Better"
Of course my daddy is over 55 and I live with him.
Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users