Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale has been sitting 98-04

I just got a 92 loyale sedan, and it has been driven very little if at all for the past six years. It starts and runs fine, but I'm sure that after that long sitting it must be in need of some work. Obviously all of the fluids should be changed, but what other repairs might I have to do?

makie sure to flush and clean the gas tank. and if possible, flush all the lines. check the tires for dry rot.thats all that i can think of, but i had to go through a lot more than that on my rx that had been sitting for 6 years, but it didnt have an engine in it when i got it.

Welcome!

I would at least check (I would just replace) every single cooling hose and belts on the engine. Unless they all look really good and don't show any cracks, etc but your call. Most cars that I obtained that have been sitting tend to blow out cooling hoses very quickly if not replaced. Give it a good tune-up (NGK Spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, cap & rotor). Go run it around, more than anything it needs to be driven it's a SUBARU! :grin:

Do you have any maint. history on the car? Last time the timing belts were replaced, etc?

my first subaru was a wagon that sat for about 4 years, as far as i can figure, maybe a bit less, no hood on it. i started it up and changed the oil, coolant, and put gas in it... it went for 20kmiles with no problems, till a timing belt went out in a blizard.

but ya, all those suggestions above this one are great ideas too =]

Thanks for the advice. The only real problem that I have noticed is that it idles too high. When I first start it, it idles at about 1,500, but if I drive it for even a couple of minutes the idle speed goes back down to around 800 where it should be. Any guess of what might be the problem?

Valve cover gaskets...if they are cork, tend to shrink and crack...and leak.

I think you mean the oil pan gasket is cork. The valve cover gaskets are rubber.

That high idle is normal. It should come down to 800 as your engine warms up. That would be a good sign the IAC is working properly :D

All of the comments above are good ones. I would definitely try to get as much info on the prior maintenance history as possible.

In my experiences, a car that has sat as long as yours would need a complete "60K" servicing to be reliable again. That means a serious going-over of every major system, replacing any parts that are questionable. If it were my car, it would mean all new hoses, t-stat, rad and radiator cap, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, brake and wheel servicing and timing belts for starters. All fluids would have to be changed or at least topped off. You are also probably looking at tires and a new battery if the car hasn't been driven in 6 years.

Good news is that if you do all this, you will have a very reliable car for a long time, unless something catastrophic happens.

My point is that low miles can be decieving in terms of total cost, if maintenance has been neglected. You could skip some of these items, but your trade-off will be reliability.

good luck, John

I have some maintenance history, but it does not say what was done only when it was worked on. The car only had one previous owner, and they had it serviced at the original dealer about every six to eight months. What I'm getting at is that the car was very well kept while it was kept, but it did sit for quite a while.