Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru....Snow....:)

PeterD

Alright guys. Today was a good day in the subaru world, for me atleast. I drove into Spokane today with one of my room mates to buy some stuff. Coming back i decided to take an laternate route back to my house in Cheney. There was snow coving the enitre road out in the middle of wheat fields so it was just white. but most was plowed. As i crest a small hill there is right hand bend, problem was was that the snow was drifting over the road and i could not tell where it was. My room mate kindly told me that i was not on the road. sure enough the car dipped to the right and i was on my way into a wheat field. But not just any wheat field. there was a good foot and half drop to the field and as i came skidding across the snow i beached the car ( highcenterd it ) in a 2foot or so drift of snow. it was stuck. wheels were spinning and all. so a few minuts later a truck drives by and the guy offeres to help us. sadly the conditions were quite bad and pulling was not an option. as we were thinking of the issue another truck drove buy with 6 college guys in it...i acualy new a few of them. and well they acualy came up with the idea to push my car back and then forward so i could drive up onto the wheat field that wasn't covered in that much snow...as it was drifting the snow didn't acumulate in some spots. Thankfully that workd they pused my suby as i flored it in 4wd, I got to a good spot on the grass pointed the suby to the road and i was home free. no ropes for my suby.. :grin: it was great fun. Subarus rock in the snow...even if you get stuck they leave you with many more options than a front wheel drive. :banana:

it was great fun. Subarus rock in the snow...

Sounds like fun! I've done that sort of thing a few times. Once with my brothers '80 wagon. Got the tractor we used to pull it out stuck too.

Anyway, once you have awd, traction is no longer the problem. Visiblity and finding the road are the problem.

If you are leaning a bit to the left, you are probably in the left lane. If you are leaning a bit to the right, you likely are in the right lane. If you are leaning a whole bunch in either direction, you probably are driving into the ditch!

--Mike

it snowed up here in Vancouver too... of course this is the time that my car isn't working...(although it has never worked for the time i have had it...) so instead i got to boot around in my parents isuzu rodeo... snowy donuts are fun... i couldn't push it as hard as i would a subaru... becuase it might role... but it was still fun!!!

good to here that you got out... hopefully my 79 brat will be good in the snow...

so i drove into spokane to day to look for a tool. I ended up finding many side streets that the plow has not found, it was mass fun. even more snow that when i first made this post. I ended up finding this sweet parking lot and started to make my mark in the fresh snow. but a nice curb stoped me real quick. i left with a destroyed front left wheel. :grin:. went to lesshwab and had them swap rims from my spare. :)

so i drove into spokane to day to look for a tool. I ended up finding many side streets that the plow has not found, it was mass fun. even more snow that when i first made this post. I ended up finding this sweet parking lot and started to make my mark in the fresh snow. but a nice curb stoped me real quick. i left with a destroyed front left wheel. :grin:. went to lesshwab and had them swap rims from my spare. :)

done that before. Is everything in the front end stright? I once dystroyed both front rims and tires because i hit a curb at 45 mph in the snow. Luckuly i hit it stright on. I hit a pole playing in the snow with the wheels tuned and trashed the strut rod and control arm once also. ooops, but i guess thats half the fun

If your brat has anything for tires on it it will be quite fun in the snow (my old 79 wagon was a blast)

haha wooooo... right now it has summer treads on it... i am to poor to buy new tires... but my spare is an all season tire... :grin:

and and!!! i finally got a chance to take my parents 2001 legasy L out in the snow... ohhhhhhhh my god that was a blast... i couldn't go for to long though because it was a church parking lot... but my 2 minutes of glory was excellent... i would post the movie that my buddy made but it is 40MB clip... so it is too big for anything here...

i am still waiting on the parts that i ordered from john bloom(mudrat79)... after that i can get my 79 moving again... COME ON JOHN... HURRY IT UP... :lol:

you broke your rim?! that sucks... i got an extra set of rims for my brat... and my dad acused me of wasting my money... then i told him that they were free... then he acused me of taking up space... so i left...

sorry for the hyjack... SNOW IS FUN...

yea i bent the rim real good. I do have another set of 4 or 6 i cant remember anymore back home on the other side of washington. If my dad accuses me of taking up space i just point and remind him of all his crap... :grin:

We got up early Saturday and drove from Whitefish to Polebridge to watch the start of the Rootbeer Classic dog sled race. The North Fork Road hadn't been plowed and we ventured off (in the dark) into 18" of fresh powder. One or two trucks had been down the road coming into town and so we drove on the wrong side of the road in the tracks most of the way. But, when we cam to curves or hills we got on our own side of the road in the virgin powder. We were running about 40 mph most of the way and the snow was shooting over the whole car from the front valence plowing the powder. Ran in 3rd, except when we were in the deep stuff, than we downshifted into 2nd, for the 50/50 split (A/T). We were in the wife's '00 Legacy, so it's pretty low to start with.

Got up to Polebridge and the guy at the mercantile asked if they had plowed already, when I said no, he just looked at me and the car parked out front with snow past the door sills and said, "And you came in THAT?"

The irony is that on Wedensday they cancelled (we didn't check, duhOh) because there wasn't enough snow ... then it started and by Saturday they all these mountains of fluffy powder.

And today ... taking as 'sick day' and heading up to Big Mountain (in my '95 Leg, but it's only a 15 min trip) for some fresh powder skiing, whoopee!

PeterD:Dthats why i love my subaru. Its not in the best shape but dang its fun in the snow. My next car will most likely be a newer wagon...ea82 or a first gen legacy. i hope we get more snow...:banana:

subysnow.jpg

your just a big taunter aren't you?:mad:

haha... i want to play...