Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Never had an electrical problem in my car before. 1996 Impreza.

When I started my car after work tonight, started and ran fine but all lights would go from normal brightness to slightly dim and back approxmately every second (heater fan speed also varied at the same time). It also seemed to vary with engine speed. This continued for several minutes and brightness was back to normal. During the half hour drive home it would vary from normal to "pulsing" every few minutes.

By the time I got home it was back to a continuous pulsing. Opened the hood and the alternator was making a slight squeeling sound. Voltage across the battery terminals was about 11.5 to 12.5 volts. I belive the voltage should be about 13.5 volts.

Before I run out and buy an alternator, can anyone confirm that is sounds like an alternator going bad?

Thanks

It turns out it was the alternator. I replaced it with a remanufactured Bosch alternator for about $175. Has anyone had any experience with the Bosch alternators? Just hope this one lasts.

All the lights seem a little brighter now(headlights, panel, etc.). I remember when the car was new I turned down the panel lights a notch and over time I stopped doing that. It seems the alternator was gradually becoming less effective and I didn't notice it. The voltage with the new alternator is right around 14.5 volts at the battery which is what it should be. At first, with the brighter lights, I thought the bulbs were going to start burning out one by one :).

Also, thanks for the recall info. I just stopped by my dealer and was no recall for my VIN. But, then again, I don't trust them to change my oil.

Dave

An option I've found to replacing alternators has been to take them to an electrical shop that specializes in rebuilding starters and alternators, that way you can have YOUR unit rebuilt rather than getting an exchange unit. I've used a place in San Francisco called "Rite Way" for years who has been able to service anything I've brought in same day (Toyota alt, BMW motorcycle alternator, Moto Guzzi starter). With 185K, I was planning to bring my still-operating alternator to them for a "preventative" service, as often only the brushes wear out (wear too short to make contact) and they resurface the area where the brushes contact, along with checking everything else out. Typically less expensive than an exchange unit and better work.